The first trial of a father who is accused of manslaughter by neglect of the person in charge of protection for causing the death of his 37-year-old eldest son, who is believed to have had a mental illness at a residence in Kawasaki City, was held, and the defendant and the defense argued that "I did not recognize the need to receive medical care, I was feeding every day," and showed a stance of contesting part of the indictment.

The defendant, Naoki Yokoyama (71) of Aso Ward, Kawasaki City, is accused of manslaughter and confinement for allegedly confining his eldest son, Yuichiro (37), to his home with handcuffs for four months from May, and not allowing him to receive the necessary medical treatment even though he was unable to eat.

At the first trial held at the Yokohama District Court on the 5th, when the defendant was questioned by the presiding judge about the contents of the indictment, he said, "I admitted to confinement, but I gave him the protection necessary for survival," and argued that the crime of manslaughter by the person in charge of protection could not be established.

In the opening statement, the prosecution explained, "The eldest son, who dropped out of college about 4 years ago, had been violent to his parents for 14 years, and doctors had pointed out that he was suspected of schizophrenia."

"The defendant confined his eldest son in May when he went out naked, and three months later he fell down the stairs and was unable to stand up, but the response to his death without receiving medical care was egregious and the consequences are serious," he said.

The defense argued that he did not recognize the need to receive medical care, and that he was fed every day.

Background of the case

In September, Yuichiro, the eldest son of the defendant Naoki Yokoyama, was found dead in a residence in Aso Ward, Kawasaki City.

According to the police investigation so far and the prosecutor's opening statement, the eldest son dropped out of university in Heisei 9 while attending a private university in Tokyo, and from that time on, he began to withdraw to his home.

From Heisei 16, he began to break down the walls of his home and use violence against his parents.

The staff at the ward office who was consulted by the family recommended that they see a doctor, but they did not receive it.

In May, the police were notified that they had gone out without clothing.

At this time, the ward office referred the family to a medical institution, but they did not receive medical examination, and it is believed that confinement began after this.

The eldest son is believed to have been confined on the second floor of his home with ropes and handcuffs tied hand and foot, and in August, he fell down the stairs on the second floor and hit his head hard, leaving him bedridden.

After that, he could only eat liquid food and became weak, so he died in September, about a month after contracting an infection from bedsores on a sheet laid out at the entrance.

At the time of his death, he weighed about 23 kg and is believed to have had schizophrenia.

In January last year, four months after the death of his eldest son, his father, who lived with him, was arrested on suspicion of confinement for tying his hands and feet with ropes for four months until his death.

He was subsequently detained for five months to determine his criminal responsibility, and in July last year, he was re-arrested on suspicion of manslaughter for causing his eldest son, who was unable to eat, to die without receiving the necessary treatment.

Prosecutors decided he could be held accountable, and in August last year, he charged him with manslaughter and confinement.

On the other hand, his mother and sister, who lived with him, were also arrested on suspicion of manslaughter by neglect of the person in charge of protection, but both were not charged.

In response to the police's investigation so far, the father said, "When I tried to take him to the hospital, he was violent and I couldn't take him, and I thought it would be a nuisance if I let him out."