A 40-year-old woman has suffered the amputation of all four limbs in California (USA) after eating fish contaminated with a deadly bacteria, according to media such as the New York Post. Apparently, the woman, named Laura Barajas, ate tilapia after buying it at a local market in San José and days later became ill. Finally, after spending more than a month hospitalized, she had to undergo the amputation of all four of her limbs.

A friend of the woman assures in statements collected by the aforementioned media that Barajas was in an induced coma for a while. "He had black fingers and toes and lower lip as well. He was suffering from complete septicaemia and his kidneys were failing," he said.

She said the woman became infected with a potentially deadly bacterium, Vibrio vulnificus, which can be found in raw shellfish and seawater. Apparently, one way to become infected with this bacteria is to eat raw or undercooked fish if the animal is contaminated with the bacteria.

In the United States each year there are about 150 cases of Vibro Vulnificus and approximately one in five infected dies.

  • Events
  • United States