Enlarge image

Havertz after 2-0


Vince Mignott/EPA

Arsenal FC continues to be in top form in the English Premier League.

In London, the Gunners won 4-1 (2-0) against Newcastle United with goals from Sven Botman (18th minute/own goal), Kai Havertz (24th), Bukayo Saka (65th) and Jakub Kiwior (69th).

Joe Willock scored for Newcastle (84th)

It was the sixth win in a row for coach Mikel Arteta's team in the league.

During this run the goal difference is now 25:3.

FC Porto only recently suffered a setback in the Champions League.

They are two points behind league leaders FC Liverpool (60 points), but Manchester City is still in between with one point more.

Newcastle are ninth for now.

The visitors could hardly do anything against Arsenal.

After Declan Rice's preparatory work, Bukayo Saka became dangerous, but Newcastle goalkeeper Loris Karius made a save (8).

The German keeper was also there for Gabriel's header ten minutes later, but in the confusion the ball bounced off Newcastle's Sven Botman into his own goal (18th).

Just a little later the home team followed up, initiated by Jorginho with a flying ball.

The addressee was Gabriel Martinelli, who played from the baseline across the penalty area.

Kai Havertz, who once again played as a center forward, was in exactly the right place and just had to slide in (24').

Saka draws level with Wright

Arsenal remained dominant.

Havertz almost could have scored again, but Martin Ødegaard's pass was intercepted (27').

A Saka cross to Martinelli went a little too high (31'), his own shot was thwarted by Karius (38').

At half-time Newcastle hadn't fired a single shot.

The hosts also kept the game under control in the second half and not only that, they further extended their lead.

Saka completed a dribble on his right side with a precise shot into the far corner (65th).

In doing so, the 22-year-old equaled Ian Wright's record, set in 1994, as the Englishman with the most consecutive Premier League games with a goal (five).

Kiwior headed a corner to score the Gunners' fourth goal (69'), before ex-Arsenal player Willock also headed the final score (84').