Europe 1 with AFP / Photo credit: Thomas SAMSON / AFP 14:27 p.m., December 01, 2023This Friday, in a video posted on his social networks, Rafael Nadal announced that he would make his return to competition at the beginning of January at the ATP tournament in Brisbane, a preparation for the Australian Open. The Spaniard hasn't played since last January.
Spain's Rafael Nadal, who has been out of action for nearly a year, announced on Friday that he will return to competition in early January at the ATP tournament in Brisbane, a warm-up to the Australian Open. "After a year without competition, it's time to come back. It will be in Brisbane in the first week of January," the 1-year-old former world No. 37 said in a video posted on his social media.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Rafa Nadal (@rafaelnadal)
Dropped to 663rd in the world
Nadal hasn't played since losing in the second round of the Australian Open in January. Falling to 663rd in the world after almost a year without playing, the left-hander from Manacor says he "doesn't deserve to finish like this", in reference to the hip injury he suffered in Melbourne in January 2023, during a tournament he won in 2009 and 2022. The 37-year-old has undergone two surgeries since then and said in September that the 2024 season was going to be his last.
>> ALSO READ – Tennis: "Nadal is huge, but Roland-Garros is even bigger," adds Amélie Mauresmo
Nadal will try to return to the highest level in Australia but should be aiming for his favourite tournament on the clay of Roland-Garros, where he has won 14 times. He is now behind Serbian world No. 1 Novak Djokovic in the number of Grand Slam tournaments won, who now has 24 major titles, two more than him. The Spaniard had already had a 2021 season undermined by a foot injury, and was eliminated by Djokovic in the semifinals of the France Open, visibly diminished.