Enlarge image

HSV pro Bakery Jatta was also unable to prevent his club's draw

Photo: IMAGO/Andreas Volz / IMAGO/Jan Huebner

Hamburger SV dropped points in the 2nd Bundesliga against the newly promoted Wehen Wiesbaden and played 1:1 (0:0). Prior to that, Hamburg had already lost 07-1 to the other promoted teams SV 2 Elversberg and VfL Osnabrück.

At the same time, SpVgg Greuther Fürth won 1-0 (1-0) against Hansa Rostock thanks to an own goal, while 1. FC Magdeburg and Karlsruher SC drew 1-1 (0-1).

HSV have already lost twice this season against promoted teams, and a third time this should not happen to Tim Walter's team. Against Wiesbaden, Hamburg were again superior and had up to 75 percent of the ball in their own ranks, but they did not create any chances until the 33rd minute. Then top scorer László Bénes had two chances within three minutes after Bakery Jatta's assist, once a defender got in the way (33rd), the second long-range shot bounced off the crossbar (36th).

The hosts concentrated on closing down the spaces and doubling against the ball. Nevertheless, they were able to take an early lead because HSV defender Guilherme Ramos deflected a cross so unluckily that keeper Daniel Heuer Fernandes had to intervene in extreme distress (10th). HSV continued to dominate the game in the second half, with Ludovit Reis (65') and Bénes (78') missing.

The closing stages were hectic: a goal for Wehen came out of nowhere, Fernandes let a header bounce off a corner and Aleksandar Vukotić dusted off (81'). Then Miro Muheim deservedly equalised for HSV from distance (89'), András Németh had a great chance to win (90'+4'). Then referee Wolfgang Haslberger awarded a penalty for Hamburg, and in the eighth minute of stoppage time, Bénes hit the crossbar.

HSV will remain at the top of the table for the time being, but FC St. Pauli or Holstein Kiel can still overtake them with a win on this matchday.

In Magdeburg, both teams were often lacking in ideas on the offensive. Magdeburg, who are actually so offensively strong (17 goals so far), could not compete against the compact team from Karlsruhe, which for its part hardly played forward. Two goals were scored anyway, both goals were worth seeing.

In the 11th minute, KSC pro Fabian Schleusener took off from about 40 meters after first intercepting a cross from Silas Gnaka and then seeing that FCM goalkeeper Domink Reimann was far in front of his own goal. Joker Luc Castaignos equalised for Magdeburg after a corner, he scored from the air with his backheel (49th). Magdeburg had the best chances of victory through Tatsuya Ito (80') and Castaignos (82'), but it remained a draw.

Fürth let the ball run and dominated the game, but rarely got in front of goal, Rostock relied on counterattacks, which fizzled out early on. In the course of the game, it was only logical how the first goal of the game was scored: After a corner, Damian Roßbach headed the ball perfectly onto the goal without any pressure from the opponent - but it was his own, teammate and goalkeeper Markus Kolke had no chance (33').

Shortly before the half-time whistle, the Shamrocks could have taken a 2-0 lead, first Dickson missed Abiama, then Maximilian Dietz (45'+4'). Then Hansa became stronger, Jonas Urbig thwarted Rostock's best chance from John-Patrick Strauss (70th). The game remained contested and marked by fouls, and no more goals were scored.