After a serious traffic accident near Staufenberg (Giessen district), a 26-year-old died on Sunday night.

As the police announced, a 20-year-old got his car into oncoming traffic for reasons that are not yet clear and collided with the oncoming car of a 21-year-old.

The woman and her 26-year-old passenger were reportedly trapped by the force of the impact and had to be freed by the fire department.

The 26-year-old succumbed to his injuries at the scene of the accident.

The two drivers of the cars involved in the accident were taken to hospital with serious injuries.

An expert is now to clarify exactly how the accident happened.

The highway was closed for a few hours.

Strange driving style as a trigger

An 80-year-old driver died in a traffic accident in Büdingen (Wetteraukreis) on Saturday afternoon.

The man crossed into oncoming traffic and collided with an oncoming vehicle, a police spokesman said.

He was seriously injured in the collision and died in hospital.

The driver of the other car was also taken to the hospital with serious injuries.

According to the first findings, it is assumed that the accident was due to the state of health of the 80-year-old, the police said.

Witnesses reported that the 80-year-old had a strange driving style.

Accident on the A3

Several people were seriously injured in an accident on Autobahn 3 near Brechen (Limburg-Weilburg district) on Sunday morning.

As the police announced, a 34-year-old drove into a vehicle combination of a 40-year-old driving in front of him for reasons that were initially unclear.

According to the information, the trailer of the team and the vehicles loaded on it then overturned and landed in the green strip.

According to the announcement, the passenger of the 34-year-old, whose vehicle was occupied by seven people, was trapped and had to be freed by the fire department.

Another passenger was taken to hospital by rescue helicopter.

According to the information, three people were seriously injured and four people were slightly injured.

The driver of the car was uninjured.

The freeway was closed for a few hours.

At times there was a traffic jam about six kilometers long.