Europe 1 with AFP / Photo credit: PHILIPPE DUPEYRAT / AFP 17:55 pm, July 30, 2023This Sunday, the Versailles prosecutor's office said that the 23-year-old motorist, drunk at the time of the accident between his car and a bus that killed two people Friday in the Yvelines, was placed in provisional detention. In the morning, the prosecutor's office opened a judicial investigation for manslaughter and unintentional injury.
A 23-year-old motorist, drunk at the time of the accident between his car and a bus that killed two people Friday in the Yvelines, was placed Sunday in provisional detention, said the Versailles prosecutor's office requested by AFP. In the morning, the prosecutor's office opened a judicial investigation for manslaughter and unintentional injuries and the young motorist was brought before an investigating judge. His blood alcohol level had been measured at 2.04 grams per liter of blood, according to the prosecutor of the Republic Maryvonne Caillibotte who had given a press conference Friday.
"No memory" of the accident
The accident occurred in Mézières-sur-Seine, 42 km northwest of Paris, on the departmental road 113. Two passengers on the bus, a 64-year-old man and a 54-year-old woman, died, and five were seriously injured. Thirty-three passengers had been declared in "relative emergency". The driver of the car was heard Saturday, after being released from the hospital where he was operated on for a fractured arm. According to his first statements, he had resumed driving early Friday morning when he had not slept and was returning from several evenings during which he had consumed alcohol, according to the prosecutor's office.
>> READ ALSO - Bus accident in the Yvelines: detention required for the alcoholic motorist
He said he had "no memory" of the accident, added the public prosecutor, considering the hypothesis that he "may have fallen asleep" at the wheel. According to the first elements of the investigation, entrusted to the police station of Mantes-la-Jolie, the car, a Clio, arrived in front of the bus; She crossed the white line and hit the front right of the bus in the opposite direction, before going "embedded in a pole," had detailed the magistrate. The bus went out of its lane before falling below the road.
The Keolis company vehicle transported about forty people and ensured for the SNCF the replacement of the section of line J of the Transilien between Épône-Mézières and Mantes-la-Jolie, on an axis closed for work, according to the Transilien website. The motorist faces up to seven years in prison.