A man in his 60s who conspired to commit the crime was also arrested by the police in relation to the incident in which members of the Cargo Workers' Union planted 700 iron nails on the roads around Incheon New Port during the general strike.

The Incheon Yeonsu Police Station announced that it had booked without detention a man in his 60s on charges of destroying common property under the Act on Punishment of Violent Acts.

Mr. A is accused of damaging six vehicles by conspiring with Mr. B in his 50s to sprinkle iron nails on a road in Songdo International City, Yeonsu-gu, Incheon at around 2:50 am on November 30 last year.

This case was initially known as Mr. B's solo crime, but as a result of the investigation, it was revealed that Mr. A also participated in the crime by sharing roles in advance.

It was found that Mr. A and Mr. B purchased a box of 700 iron nails at a hardware store in Michuhol-gu, Incheon, and accompanied them to Incheon New Port.

Afterwards, Mr. B drove a 25-ton truck alone and sprinkled iron nails 9 cm in length on the road for about 2 km from Incheon New Port to Namdong Industrial Complex.

Enlarge Image

Both Mr. A and Mr. B were members of the Cargo Solidarity Headquarters of the Korean Confederation of Trade Unions’ public transportation union, and it was investigated that they committed the crime with dissatisfaction with the way non-union members were driving without participating in the strike.

On the day of the crime, a propaganda campaign was held in relation to the general strike of the cargo unions in the Incheon New Port area, and Police Commissioner Yoon Hee-geun visited the Sunkwang Terminal in Incheon New Port to check the strike situation.

The police arrested Mr. B on charges of destroying special property on the 30th of last month and conducted an additional investigation and arrested Mr. A as well.

A police official said, "We believed that the two were conspiring to commit the crime, and they were charged with destroying common property and sent to the prosecution."

(Photo = Provided by Incheon Metropolitan Police Agency, Yonhap News)