- Terica Uriol, the creator of the 'sandwich diet': "A summer red wine is less fattening than beer, which are all hydrates"
- Is it better to drink warm water with lemon on an empty stomach or a shot of vinegar? Nutrition and digestive health expert Rocío Périz responds
- Laura Jorge, nutritionist of The method eat healthy, lives healthy: "In the aperitif the olives fatten less than the nuts"
Good news: we can return to our ideal weight, without stress and with joy, removing those two extra kilos, on average, that we usually throw on our backs, or rather to the gut and hips, every summer. This is said by experts in health and nutrition, who say that recovering, or starting, a healthy lifestyle can be simple if we have some clear ideas. The key lies in a varied diet and in respecting hygienic dietary rules, both exercise and rest, says Dr. María José Crispín, aesthetic doctor specialized in nutrition and weight loss at the Menorca Clinic.
The excuse may be to start the new 'course' in good spirits and in top shape, but the real goal should not remain only a matter of weight: with the right guidelines we will not only lose the kilos that we have left, we will also increase our defenses, we will have a more awake brain, we will enjoy greater emotional stability keeping at bay the stress and anxiety generated by day to day, We will enjoy a restful rest and develop more resistance to fatigue. And everything, without having to go hungry or go on a diet, something that has already become almost routine: according to the World Health Organization (WHO), today 45% of the world's population is on a diet, and in Spain specifically the percentage rises to over 50%.
But as Dr. Crispin says, dieting is not a panacea; In fact, most of those who go on a diet far from achieving their goal only undergo periods of hunger that generate anxiety, bad mood and, shortly after, an increase in size due to the dreaded rebound effect, associated with very restrictive diets. "Our body goes into survival mode before the attack to which we are subjecting it, and that will make us recover the weight very quickly," says Marta Rey, a health coach at the European Medical Institute of Obesity. "When you stop dieting, you regain the lost weight and we even end up weighing even more than we initially weighed." It is the consequence of all miracle diets, more dangerous than anything else.
They are not the only experts who question restricted, fast but very unhealthy and even harmful diets, because when you finish them "you will return to the habits you had before and you will not be able to maintain an adequate weight or good health," adds nutritionist Sara Jiménez.
What is the best diet for weight loss?
The best diet to lose weight is one that includes "a varied diet," says María José Crispín. This means "ingesting all the groups of nutrients necessary for our body, all kinds of vitamins and minerals, proteins, fats (the balance of fatty acids must be correct), carbohydrates and the essential essential amino acids that our body cannot synthesize". There are nine, and we obtain them "by combining whole grains and brown rice or legumes with seeds," adds the doctor. If it is necessary to point to a specific diet, María José Crispín points out the Mediterranean, "it is the best example".
How to regain our weight?
To lose weight in a healthy way, the first thing is to start by "drastically reducing the caloric sources that no longer proceed," explains Dr. Crispín. In particular, the following five:
What makes us lose weight?
On the other hand, these are the premises and recommendations that will allow us to remove the extra kilos without dieting to recover our weight and stay in it. Next, the list of good habits that makes us gain health and figure, prepared by Dr. Crispin:
- Take foods boiled, grilled or in stews with lots of vegetables and little fat.
- It includes protein at least twice a day: meat, fish, eggs and dairy. Alternate blue fish with white fish. Take poultry better than red meat and make sure it is always well done, but not fried, better roasted or grilled.
- Do not avoid extra virgin olive oil or avocado, they are good fats and necessary for the proper functioning of the body, but you have to eat them in moderation.
- Eat rice, pasta and potatoes in salad and with vegetables. And an expert advice: "If I prepare it the day before eating it, the starch has become resistant and does not make you fat," he reveals. If you take rice, pasta or potato you should not eat bread.
- As for fruit, it is better to take whole pieces, not juices or smoothies, which contain a lot of sugar and no fiber.
- Drink plenty of fluids between meals either water, infusions, broths, etc., on average, about two liters a day.
- One glass of red wine a day is allowed, it is a cardiovascular protector and eliminates toxins; But more than one or two drinks a day have the opposite effect.
- Chewing food well is a very important step to make a good digestion. Salivation and crushing is essential, for good digestive health and because the feeling of satiety does not appear immediately, but within 20 minutes of starting to eat, so you have to give the brain time to warn the stomach that it is already full.
- Carbohydrates should only be taken at breakfast and at lunch.
- At dinner, better to take cooked vegetables than raw, to facilitate digestion. They must be accompanied by proteins of high biological value (better fish than meat).
- Have dinner as soon as possible and allow at least two hours before bedtime.
How much do you have to walk to lose a kilo?
Along with a healthy and balanced diet, exercise and rest are the other two keys on which we depend on maintaining a healthy weight. "We must avoid a sedentary lifestyle and have an active lifestyle, exercise every day, both aerobic and to strengthen the muscles," explains Dr. María José Crispín. In this sense, one of the healthiest and most affordable sports is walking. A walk at a good pace of one hour a day can help us lose a lot of weight. How much? According to a study by Harvard University, published in Harvard Health, with a weight of 57 kilos you burn 120 calories walking at 5.5 km / hour on flat terrain for 30 minutes, a figure that reaches 149 calories if you weigh 70 kilos. That is, with a walk at a good pace of one hour a day you can lose a kilo a month.
In addition to exercise, rest is also important when it comes to losing weight. "We must try to go to bed every day at more or less the same time, ideally before eleven o'clock at night, to adapt to circadian cycles and keep our state of health in optimal conditions," concludes María José Crispín.
- Nutrition I Donate