In April, an explosive device was thrown near Prime Minister Kishida, who was visiting Wakayama City to support the election, and the National Police Agency compiled a report analyzing and evaluating the security measures at that time.
It concluded that the incident was allowed to occur because there was no in-depth consultation between the police and the organizers of the speech and the failure to include effective safety measures in the protection plan, and that it will review its response to thorough protection and security, such as lobbying the organizers.

"There was not enough coordination between the police and the organizers."

According to a report released by the National Police Agency, when the Wakayama Prefectural Police held a preliminary meeting with the organizers of the speeches, including political party officials and local fisheries cooperatives, the organizers explained that the audience in the venue was limited to those related to the fisheries cooperatives, which became an "important premise for security."

The fisheries cooperative staff were supposed to look at the faces of visitors at the entrance to identify whether there were any outsiders, but when the suspect entered the audience area on the day of the event, neither the police officers or the fisheries cooperative staff who were in charge of guarding them noticed it, and the check was insufficient.

Later, in the audience area, many people took out their smartphones and filmed the Prime Minister, and no one around noticed the suspect preparing to attack.

The report concludes that despite the need to take credible measures to prevent suspects with concealed explosives from entering the audience area, the failure to consult closely with the organisers and to include effective security measures in the protection plan allowed the incident to occur.

It also said that in order to completely prevent dangerous goods from being brought in, everyone who entered the audience area had to be screened with open baggage and metal detectors.

Based on these lessons, the National Police Agency will review its response from the preparatory stage of preparing a security plan to ensure seamless protection and security.

In addition, this time, the prefectural police requested the establishment of a reception desk to control admission, inspection with metal detectors, etc., but the prefectural police did not implement the program on the premise that the audience would be limited to fisheries cooperative officials, so the organizers will clarify the necessary items such as the introduction of materials and equipment, and urge the organizers to record the process of these procedures.

In addition, priority will be given to speech venues where the target of protection will participate indoors where it is easy to inspect metal detectors, and police officers who are skilled in questioning their duties will be assigned to the guard site, which will lead to early detection of suspicious persons.

Throughout the report, it is analyzed and evaluated that there was insufficient cooperation between the police, who want to completely eliminate all dangers and provide thorough protection, and the organizers, who want to minimize protection and security and prioritize proximity to voters.

Secretary Roki: "Less than a year after the shooting of former Prime Minister Abe, I take it seriously"

At a press conference on June 6, National Police Agency Commissioner Yasuhiro Roki stated that in light of the drastic review of the operation of guarding dignitaries in the wake of the shooting of former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe last year, "We take seriously the fact that this incident occurred in less than a year, and it is with that in mind that we have compiled the report."

On top of that, he indicated that he intends to strengthen cooperation with the organizers of the cheering speeches and have them select appropriate venues to ensure the effectiveness of safety measures and the safety of the audience.

Until the creation of a "security plan"

【April 4】
On April 6, nine days before the speech in support of the speech was given, the LDP Wakayama Prefectural Federation informed the Wakayama Prefectural Police that Prime Minister Kishida would visit Wakayama Prefecture on the 9th, and the next day, the locations for the speech were Saikazaki Fishing Port and JR Wakayama Station.
Of these, the prefectural police judged that the Saikazaki Fishing Port, which was the scene of the incident, was surrounded by the sea and that it was necessary to be vigilant against drones, but judged it to be suitable for protection, and did not propose any changes.

【April 4】
On April 6, the prefectural police conducted a preliminary inspection of the venue jointly with the organizers, including the prefectural federation and fisheries cooperatives, and received an explanation from the organizers that the audience would be limited to those concerned, and that they would not be invited to participate widely.
On the other hand, the prefectural police requested that a distance of at least 15 meters be maintained from the speech site to the front row of the audience area, but the organizers refused, saying that the distance from the prime minister was too far.
As a result of the discussion, the fisheries cooperative staff wearing the blue ribbon decided to identify the visitors as members of the fisheries cooperative, and agreed with the Prime Minister that the front row of the audience area should be about 4 meters.
The prefectural police prepared a draft "protection plan" that incorporated the contents of these discussions and reported it to the National Police Agency.
After receiving the report, the National Police Agency instructed fisheries cooperative personnel to be placed in front of the audience area close to the prime minister and to prevent intrusions other than those involved, but did not confirm specific details such as how to identify fisheries cooperative officials or the procedure for reporting suspicious persons when they are found.

【April 12】
On April 4, two days before the examination by the National Police Agency, the security plan was approved by the prefectural police chief.

【April 12】
On April 10, the day before, the candidate participating in the speech posted on SNS that Prime Minister Kishida would visit Saikazaki Fishing Port, but since the newspaper advertisement on the day only announced the street speech at JR Wakayama Station, the prefectural police judged that there was no change in the premise that "the audience is limited to people related to the fishing cooperative." We did not raise the alert level.

Movement on the day of the incident (April 4)

The prefectural police set up a security headquarters headed by the chief of the headquarters and used equipment to transmit images of the scene in real time to grasp the situation at the scene.

After 9:50 a.m., a number of police officers were deployed around the venue to protect the audience, and the senior police officer in charge of the venue observed the hands and line of sight of the audience, instructed them to confirm the purpose of possession if they found someone holding plastic bottles or bottles, and police dogs searched for suspicious objects.

Fisheries cooperative officials set up an audience area with colored cones and other equipment, and fisheries cooperative staff wearing blue ribbons stood at the entrance to greet visitors.

A police officer in the vicinity saw the situation and judged that the fisheries cooperative staff was checking the faces of the visitors and identifying whether they were related to the fishing cooperative or not.

At around 11:17 a.m., Prime Minister Kishida arrived at the venue, tasted seafood near the ikesu, and arrived at the place of his speech about nine minutes after his arrival.

The suspect arrived at about 9:1 a.m., one minute after the Prime Minister arrived, stopped briefly near a building outside the audience area, and then followed the rest of the audience into the area.

At that time, the police officers and fisheries cooperative staff were unaware that someone other than the fisheries cooperative had invaded.

The suspect stood about 11 meters away from the Prime Minister, and at about 18:10 a.m., he dropped his gaze to his hand for a few seconds before throwing a tube-shaped explosive into it with his right hand.

At that time, the Prime Minister was exchanging words with the candidate near the place of his speech, but a police officer guarding nearby noticed that something had been thrown at him, judged it dangerous because the falling object appeared to emit smoke and sparks, and brushed it away with his protective bag and feet.

The police officer shouted "evacuate" and surrounded the prime minister with other police officers and evacuated him to a remote location.

Approximately 11 seconds after the throw.

The Prime Minister was about to get into his car when an explosion occurred.

Regarding the police response after the explosives were thrown, the report states that the action was swift and appropriate to ensure the safety of the Prime Minister, and that although the explosives dislodged by the police officers resulted in a slight approach to the audience, it was unavoidable as a quick decision.

On top of that, once a suspect enters the audience area, it is difficult to prevent the explosive from being thrown, and there is no time to neutralize the explosive after the throw, and the main reason why the incident could not be prevented was that the suspect was allowed to enter the audience area.