The truth about the release of the killer of the Syrian girl, Ayat Al-Rifai

About six months after the beating death of the Syrian young woman, Ayat Al-Rifai, social media pioneers circulated posts claiming that the authorities released the husband accused of killing her "due to the fierce beating."

"After the uproar that occurred as a result of the killing of Ayat al-Rifai at the hands of her husband and his family, the accusation fell today from her husband," the circulated publications said.

And the publications, some of which were attached to a picture of the deceased young woman, added, "In the opinion of the judge, (the husband) was beating his wife in order to discipline her, and she died unintentionally."

Dozens of followers interacted with these posts, attacking the judge and the alleged ruling attributed to him.

However, according to Agence France-Presse, this allegation is not true, and the husband is still in custody pending the case, according to the judicial authorities in Damascus.

The first public defender in Damascus, Muhammad Adib Mahaini, also denied what was raised "about the acquittal of Ayat al-Rifai's husband."

He said that the case is still pending in court and no judgment has been issued so far.

Speaking to a local newspaper, he added that the husband and his parents, who are accused of killing Ayat, are still detained, "and none of them have been released."

At the beginning of this year, the name of Ayat Al-Rifai, a young woman in her twenties, began to be circulated hours after her death, and news from the young woman's friends spread, stating that she had been killed "at the hands of her husband and his family."

The news of her death turned into a public opinion issue as a result of the forensic medicine report issued by the first public attorney in Damascus, who spoke of the cause of death as "brain damage resulting from beatings."

At the time, the Ministry of Justice of the Syrian regime published that the cause of death was a “murder resulting from beatings,” and the case papers were referred to the investigative judge for consideration and initiation of the necessary legal procedures.

Later, the regime's Ministry of Interior released the confessions of the husband, who admitted to "continually beating his wife with the intent of disciplining and educating her, and on the day of her death she was beaten by the husband's father twice", and the husband hit her head against the wall.

Follow our latest local and sports news and the latest political and economic developments via Google news