After the violent death of a 13-year-old in Sinsheim in Baden-Württemberg, a 14-year-old known to the police because of an earlier knife attack is suspected.
He was supposed to be brought before a judge on Thursday.
An autopsy should clarify the exact cause of death of the boy.
The investigative authorities and the city announced a press conference for Thursday afternoon to report on the first findings after the investigation into the social environment of the victim and the alleged perpetrator.
The officials assume that the two young people knew each other.
The fact that another person was involved in the case was neither confirmed nor denied.
The alleged perpetrator is a boy who seriously injured a then 13-year-old with a knife at a secondary school in Östringen northeast of Karlsruhe last November.
At this point in time, the attacker was not yet of criminal age.
According to German law, young people between the ages of 14 and 17 are only “of limited criminal responsibility”.
The Lord Mayor of Sinsheim, Jörg Albrecht (independent), was dismayed by the act.
"The concern is great, that hits a place in the marrow," said the town hall chief.
In his nine years at the top of the city, he had never experienced anything like this.
The shock was also deep in the Eschelbach district, where the crime scene is located: Mayor Wolfgang Maier said that his phone had not stood still.
"People are worried, but I was able to defuse them."
The dead youth was found in a field on Wednesday afternoon.
The 14-year-old was arrested in the immediate vicinity of the site.
Even if such violent outbreaks are rare, they always cause a stir: In Duisburg, a then 14-year-old admitted last October that he had killed his girlfriend of the same age.
And in April of last year, a 17-year-old is said to have killed a 14-year-old in a dispute at a bus stop in Essen - the murder weapon was again a knife.