Long-term driving, frequent braking, aging lines, punctures, excessive fueling...
Beware of auto-ignition in hot weather, this strategy can save lives at critical moments
Photo courtesy of the Sixth Brigade, a high-speed law enforcement team of a spontaneous combustion truck on the 26th
Summer is the season for vehicle spontaneous combustion accidents, especially when driving on expressways. Once spontaneous combustion occurs, it will often cause more serious property losses due to difficulties in implementing rescues and restrictions on road traffic.
In this situation, some people can't help but sigh: Is it safe to put the car in the refrigerator in summer?
Don't worry. Yesterday, the highway law enforcement agency announced several recent cases of spontaneous combustion, and made suggestions on how to prevent spontaneous combustion during high-temperature driving in summer.
Photo courtesy of law enforcement officers extinguishing fires on burning vehicles
The truck stalls while driving
The driver stopped and found spontaneous combustion
At about 18:00 on July 27, a large truck caught fire on the 1507KM+800M section of the G42 Hurong Expressway in the upward direction (Wanzhou District). As a result, the upward direction of the road section was interrupted for a while.
According to the investigation, the vehicle was loaded with mud and traveled from Wanzhou to Sichuan. The driver Xiong had noticed the abnormality before the vehicle caught fire, and the vehicle stalled while driving. When Xiong got out of the car to check, there was already an open flame in the front of the car. Xiong used a vehicle-mounted fire extinguisher to put out the fire, but the fire spread rapidly in the hot weather and was completely uncontrollable.
It is reported that Xiong bought the vehicle through a mortgage in August last year and did not purchase vehicle spontaneous combustion insurance. This spontaneous combustion made the vehicle almost scrapped and the direct economic loss exceeded 400,000. At present, the cause of the vehicle fire is under further investigation.
Similarly, at about 14:23 on July 26, a small truck suddenly ignited when it was approaching K1093 in the outbound direction of G75 Lanhai Expressway. After receiving the police, the city highway law enforcement officers and Qijiang District fire department rushed to the scene to rescue. After being put out, the fire was quickly brought under control, but the vehicle was also scrapped.
After questioning the driver, it was preliminarily determined that spontaneous combustion was caused by a fire at the engine location due to aging of the wiring. Fortunately, the rescue was timely, and the accident did not cause casualties, nor did it cause a second traffic accident.
High frequency use of brakes
Eventually cause the high temperature of the wheel to ignite the tire
Such spontaneous combustion accidents are not isolated cases. Recently, there have been several spontaneous combustion incidents in the third branch of the expressway of the Chongqing Transportation Comprehensive Administrative Law Enforcement Corps:
At 9:37 in the morning on July 27, a spontaneous combustion of a truck occurred in the downward direction of the G65 Baomao Expressway towards the Dawan Tunnel. The driver Li chose to escape after using the on-board fire extinguisher to extinguish the initial fire.
Fortunately, high-speed law enforcement officers arrived in time and used the fire hydrant on the tunnel wall to extinguish the open fire in time. There were no casualties, and no prolonged traffic jams and secondary accidents occurred. It is understood that the cause of this spontaneous combustion is due to the high frequency of brakes and insufficient water injection from the water tank, causing the high temperature of the left rear wheel to ignite the tire.
Coincidentally, at 7:6 on July 28, a spontaneous combustion of a truck occurred on the Nanchuan-Daguan section of the G65 Baomao Expressway downstream. The right rear tire of the vehicle burst into flames, but the driver used the on-board fire extinguisher to save himself in time, causing only minor losses.
It was understood that the fire vehicle was a building materials transport vehicle. The tire punctured during driving, which caused a fire at the right rear of the vehicle.
Vehicle maintenance is very important, safety and self-help is the key
Starting from the case, combined with driving safety knowledge, how to effectively prevent vehicle spontaneous combustion, high-speed law enforcement officers gave a strategy.
Prevent spontaneous combustion
1. Regular maintenance and frequent inspections. When the high temperature hits, regular vehicle maintenance and inspection should be carried out to ensure that the fire extinguishers, tires, water sprays, oil lines, brakes and other equipment are normal, and attention should be paid to cleaning up the remaining branches and leaves accumulated in the engine compartment.
2. Avoid driving for a long time. When a vehicle runs for a long time and frequently uses brakes, the load on the corresponding engine and battery will increase, which may increase the risk of spontaneous combustion. Pay attention to check the tires, water spray and other mechanical parts in good condition and cool them down during rest.
3. Ensure safety in the car. Try not to smoke in the car, let alone throw cigarette butts directly through the window, which may cause the truck tarp to catch fire. At the same time, do not place flammable and explosive materials such as lighters and perfumes in the car.
4. Do not refuel or charge excessively. For fuel vehicles, if the gasoline is overfilled, the gasoline will overflow when bumping, and it will easily catch fire when it encounters static electricity. For electric vehicles, the battery will generate a lot of heat during the charging process. If the internal temperature continues to rise or the temperature between the single batteries is uneven, there will also be a risk of overheating, burning and explosion.
5. Cautious modification. Modification will make changes to the circuit and oil circuit. After the modification, there may be a hidden danger of spontaneous combustion.
When vehicles ignite spontaneously on the highway, our awareness of self-help is very important. Vehicles ignite spontaneously on the expressway, and the initial self-rescue will not only give rescuers valuable time, but also minimize property losses.
1. If there is a sign of fire, if the fire is controllable, you should quickly take out the vehicle-mounted fire extinguisher, and carry out initial disposal while ensuring your own safety.
2. There is a set of fire hydrants every 50 meters in the medium and long tunnel of the expressway. There are fire extinguishers, fire water, hoses and spray guns. If spontaneous combustion occurs in the tunnel, please don't panic. You can use the tunnel fire hydrant equipment to extinguish the fire in the initial stage.
3. If the scene is out of control, please choose the reverse wind route to escape and call the police in time. Remember: life first!
Chongqing Morning News·Upstream News Reporter Zhang Xu