play videoplay video

Video duration: 02 minutes 42 seconds 02:42

Jenin -

The Abu Sariya family spent many hours trying in every way they knew to save a young man who was shot by the Israeli occupation forces that stormed the Jenin camp in the northern West Bank, after they were able to pull him from in front of their house, and after the ambulance crew’s attempts to reach him failed.

A video clip was circulated on social media documenting the first moments of the family’s attempt to contact ambulances. The clip shows the injured young man surrounded by the Abu Sariya family talking to the paramedics and explaining to them the nature of the injury.

Hossam Abu Sariya said that the injured person was suffering from bleeding after being hit by a bullet that entered his right side and exited his back, in addition to an injury to his right arm, and traces of blood on his left foot, which was hit by shrapnel.

It witnessed an intense presence of the occupation forces with more than 50 military vehicles, preventing ambulances from reaching the injured.

The occupation storms the Jenin camp in the West Bank, leaving martyrs, wounded, and destruction of the infrastructure.

- AJ+ Arabic (@ajplusarabi) February 21, 2024

Bleeding for 6 hours

Hossam (20 years old) spoke to Al Jazeera Net about the details of what happened, and said, “We were in the house when the clash began outside. Moments later, we heard a young man screaming and in pain. I opened the door of the house and saw a number of soldiers shooting two young men, one of whom was martyred immediately. The other was injured in front of the door of our house, so I pulled him inside, and immediately sent a voice recording requesting that an ambulance be sent to my house.”

Ambulances were unable to reach Abu Sariya's house, so he resorted to filming a video showing the condition of the injured person and his need for immediate medical intervention, which prompted the ambulance crew to intervene via phone.

Abu Sariya describes his attempts by saying: “They told me, ‘You must know whether the bullet was lodged in the side or came out from the other side.’ Then they asked me to press the wound with a towel and bandage his other wounds. The young man continued bleeding without treatment for 6 hours, and before he was taken to the ambulance, he was dead.” the last one".

The occupation army fires live bullets at ambulances and prevents them from entering Jenin camp to transport casualties

- Al-Qastal News (@AlQastalps) February 20, 2024

First aid

Paramedic Murad Khamaysa spoke to Al Jazeera Net about the Israeli occupation forces preventing ambulance crews from reaching the injured in the Al-Samran neighborhood in the heart of the Jenin camp, where the armed clashes were concentrated on Wednesday night. He said, “We tried to coordinate with the help of the Palestinian liaison (a communication point between the Authority and Israel) to ensure We entered the camp, after receiving reports from the residents that there were more than one injury, 4 of which were in the Al-Samran neighborhood, but there was no coordination for ambulances to enter and remove the injured.”

After paramedics were unable to arrive, the camp residents were forced to contact Red Crescent crews via video calls, to rescue the wounded and stop their bleeding.

Khamaysa says, "We tried to provide initial solutions to the families who received the injured in their homes. We explained to them how to bind the wounds and apply pressure on them to limit the bleeding, but every minute that passed increased the risk of the injured being exposed to death. These methods were not 100% successful, but they were "An attempt to buy time until coordination is agreed upon and we are allowed to enter the camp."

The ambulance officer at the "Al-Hayat Center" in Jenin, Yazan Jarrar, told Al-Jazeera Net, "After we obtained approval to enter the camp, we arrived at Al-Samran neighborhood and found the young man in Abu Sariya's house in a very difficult condition, as he lost a lot of blood, and he had to be dealt with quickly in the field." Before taking him to the hospital."

Jarrar added, "The instructions we gave to the families were an initial measure to preserve the lives of the injured, but it was not very effective. If we had delayed a little, we could have lost the injured person due to bleeding. Binding wounds and applying pressure on them does not stop the bleeding completely, but only reduces it."

Farewell to the body of the martyr Arif Qaddumi after he died in a clash with the occupation forces in the Jenin camp in the West Bank #Gaza_War #Video

- Al Jazeera Palestine (@AJA_Palestine) February 21, 2024

Storming and besieging the camp

During the eight hours that it took to storm the occupation, very little information was received from inside the neighborhoods of Jenin camp, and the paramedics who were distributed at its entrances were unable to accurately know the number and nature of the injuries.

Even after midnight, only 3 injuries had arrived at the city's hospitals, two of which arrived at Jenin Governmental Hospital, which is only hundreds of meters away from the entrance to the camp.

In the hospital yard, ambulances were stationed in preparation to be allowed to enter the camp and transport the casualties and wounded, but Israeli occupation vehicles were blocking the main entrance to the camp and other entrances, and completely preventing the movement of ambulance crews.

Paramedic Khamaysa says, “We tried to distribute our cars at the entrances to the camp, to speed up access to the wounded, but we were never allowed to enter, and the occupation bulldozers continued to bulldoze the streets inside the camp, which greatly hindered our movement.”

He added, "Unfortunately, the Israeli occupation has begun to adopt the idea of ​​preventing paramedics from reaching the injured and transporting them, besieging hospitals, and preventing medical teams from working normally, in every incursion that takes place in Jenin and the camp."

After the withdrawal of the Israeli occupation forces, ambulances were able to transport the injured from inside the camp, and it turned out that some of the injuries were from bullets and some from shrapnel from an Israeli drone strike, in addition to transporting the body of the martyr Arif Al-Qaddoumi, a resistance fighter from the Qalqilya area, who was inside the Jenin camp at the moment the Special Forces entered. Israeli to him.

Members of the Al-Qassam Brigades in the Jenin camp discovered that an Israeli special force had infiltrated the Al-Samran neighborhood and stormed the home of the Al-Sabbagh family, where armed clashes took place between the resistance fighters and the special force, before Israeli military reinforcements arrived at the camp supported by bulldozers. The force surrounded a young man in the house next to the Al-Sabagh family and clashed with him, before firing an “Energa” shell towards the house.

Magda Al-Sabbagh told Al-Jazeera Net, “As soon as the special force was discovered by the resistance fighters, the soldiers stormed the house and put us in one of the rooms, and prevented us from treating our wounds completely. The clashes were very violent, and two young men were injured, one of whom was pulled out by the neighbors (the Abu Sariya family), and the other they put here in Our house, I heard the occupation officer interrogating him and interrogating him, before he was arrested from inside the house while he was injured.”

Source: Al Jazeera