• Events Crime of film in the Police of Orense

A popular jury will have in its hands to solve one of the most surprising crimes that are remembered in Galicia and decide the future of the twins Roy and Bernardo D. L., who came to assume positions of relevance in the Police Station of the National Police of Ourense and ended up splashed by a history of blood and police corruption. The investigating magistrate has concluded the investigation and considers that the two brothers could be perpetrators of a crime of murder or homicide and robbery with force and that they should be tried by a jury court.

The story began in 2014. Between the end of that year and February 2015, someone circumvented the security of the bunker of the Ourense Police Station and took six weapons. Shortly after, anonymous writings sent first to internal affairs and then to the media aired the serious event and focused on an alleged plot that police officers of the narcotics unit would have hatched to buy with official weapons the favors of alleged confidants in the world of drug trafficking.

The internal affairs investigation opened was prosecuted and splashed 13 police officers who would later end up either with the case archived or acquitted. With the tsunami of that corruption case still open, in 2016, police officer Celso Blanco was found shot dead in his office on the fifth floor of the judicial headquarters with one of the stolen weapons. Next to the body were three of the six stolen weapons and, just before allegedly taking his own life, he incriminated himself by email and WhatsApp messages of the robbery and the anonymous.

As a result of the judicial investigation, the magistrate of the Court of Instruction number 3 of Ourense, Eva Armesto, has concluded that there are "multiple and unequivocal" indications that both agents, "jointly and planned", stole the six weapons from inside the bunker of the police station and, when they were being investigated for it, with the aim of achieving their impunity, "They used one of them to shoot their partner in the head, attributing to him the sending of anonymous and the theft of weapons." For these facts they were arrested in 2018 and since then they have been appearing weekly before the court.

The order that orders the transformation of the proceedings into a procedure to be tried by a Jury Court reports that the two investigated performed "important functions in the police station", but, when a new commissioner arrived, "they were displaced" by other police colleagues, they were transferred from their jobs and deprived of the use of the shooting gallery. According to the judge, "they felt professionally undermined" and tried to harm the colleagues with whom they had rivalry and the commanders who had withdrawn part of their functions.

As for the deceased, he was a friend of the twins, with whom he shared the fondness for shooting. The judge considers that he knew the plans of the twins, who created false traces of access to confidential data with the keys of other police officers to harm them. Their future was cut short in April 2016, when investigations into the theft of the weapons targeted the two brothers. "Afraid that his partner would end up confessing, they prepared his death," says the magistrate, who sees indications that on April 9, 2016, Bernardo shot his partner in the head, who died immediately, while his brother waited for him outside. To avoid the investigation, they tried to simulate a suicide by performing a single shot, placing the weapon on the hand of the deceased, under the pants.

The jury must determine if, as the judge concludes, they manipulated the crime scene so that the police investigating the death found gunshot residue in the hand that fired the shot and sent an email from the deceased's mail attributing the authorship of the anonymous and the theft of the weapons and a message from his phone to a WhatsApp group "to make the authorities believe that his Compañero had decided to end his own life because he felt guilty about what happened."

DNA on paper

The suspects did not count on the good work of their fellow police officers, who located their DNA on the paper with gunpowder that was located under the lifeless body of the agent. In addition, they incurred carelessness and the sheath – part of the cartridge containing the powder charge – found next to the corpse and the gunpowder located under the body and in the sweater of the deceased took them to them, since they were identical to those found in their lockers. They also located specific gunshot residue on the paper under the victim's body and on the back of his jersey "in quantity greater than that corresponding to a gunshot."

They did not stop to think either that they left the slide of the weapon open and without a magazine under the body, a circumstance that, according to expert reports, is not compatible with a suicide, since "in the time that elapses from the shot until it crosses the head it is not possible to make any voluntary movement." It is not possible to remove the charger after death.

At the scene of the crime also appeared blood splatter stains in the vicinity of the limbs of the deceased, which point to the intervention of a third person and made the mistake of overcleaning the scene. Thus, in the office there were three of the stolen weapons and in two of them there was no DNA. According to the judge, "it is illogical that there is no DNA from the victim if they were left by her once the decision to kill herself has been made and to send a message acknowledging the abduction." He also sees "absolutely illogical and implausible" that it is triggered by the guilt of having committed some facts in which it has not intervened, since the geolocation data of the deceased place it "outside the places and times in which the accounts are created, the anonymous note or the first anonymous is sent. "

  • Ourense
  • WhatsApp
  • Galicia
  • Justice
  • National Police

According to the criteria of The Trust Project

Learn more