The so-called Early Release Committee of the Israel Prison Service on Wednesday rejected the request for the release of prisoner Walid Daqqa, following the deterioration of his health condition and his transfer to the intensive care unit at Assaf Harofeh Hospital south of Tel Aviv.

Last week, the committee postponed its decision, at a time when the Israeli Public Prosecution announced its opposition to the release of the prisoner Daqqa, despite his critical condition due to a rare form of cancer.

Daqqa has been languishing in Israeli prisons for 38 years, and his family, prisoners in Nafha Prison and human rights groups have launched a campaign to release him and save his life.

The family of the prisoner Daqqa had published a statement about his health condition and his transfer to the hospital due to suffering from complications of the removal of his right lung, due to pollution and very severe respiratory suffocation.

The Prisoners' Affairs Authority had previously stated that Daqqa lost the ability to speak for long days, and could not move or walk completely, and was diagnosed with spinal cord cancer last December, and it was decided that his treatment should be pharmacological, not chemical.

Daqqa is from the occupied city of Baqa al-Gharbiya, who has been detained since 1986 and is serving a 39-year prison sentence for the murder of an Israeli soldier, and his health has finally deteriorated after being diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.

Large forces of Israeli police and special units arrived at the entrance to Ramle prison, where the prisoner is held, while Israeli demonstrators assaulted his family and a number of their supporters in front of the prison.

The Palestinian Prisoners' Club documents 700 cases of illness among the total number of Palestinian prisoners in the occupation prisons, which number 4900,24 prisoners, of whom 15 prisoners have cancer of varying degrees, 20 of whom are permanently in the Ramle prison clinic, and some cases have not left it for <> years due to incurable diseases and refusal to release them.

Attacks on Palestinian Homes

In the West Bank, 10 Palestinians were injured by rubber-coated metal bullets and stones, and dozens were suffocated by tear gas during settler attacks on Palestinian homes in the town of Jalud, south of Nablus.

Ghassan Daghlas, the official in charge of the settlement file in the northern West Bank, said that settlers attacked Palestinian homes in the eastern area of the town last night under the protection of the occupation army, which led to clashes in the area.

Civil defence teams evacuated several families from three houses as a result of the attack, he said, adding that residents of the town and nearby villages were able to repel the attack.