The head of Sudan's Sovereignty Council, army commander Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, said that the Sudanese armed forces will fight to the last soldier "so that our country lives in safety and peace," threatening to use lethal force against the Rapid Support Forces if they do not respond to the voice of reason.
Burhan said when inspecting forces stationed in some locations in the capital Khartoum on Tuesday, "The armed forces are fighting this battle on behalf of their people. It has not yet used its full lethal force, but it will be forced to do so if the enemy does not obey or respond to the voice of reason."
Burhan praised "the entire Sudanese people standing behind their army despite the suffering they have been living for nearly two months," stressing that "all regions and divisions still retain their full forces after they extended their control throughout the country."
Regarding the extension of the truce, he stated that "it was approved in order to facilitate the flow of services to citizens who are exhausted by the encroachments of the rebels (Rapid Support) and have looted their property, violated their sanctities, tortured and killed them without scruples or conscience," calling for not to circumvent what is broadcast by the media of the "rebel militia".
Burhan stressed that "the armed forces will remain ready to fight until victory, and that the rebels will not be able to get rid of this country, stressing that victory is inevitably near."
Clashes despite truce
On Monday evening, Saudi Arabia and the United States announced the agreement of the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces to extend the ceasefire agreement signed between them for an additional 5 days, as the period of a declared agreement for 7 days between the army and the rapid support for a short-term ceasefire and humanitarian arrangements, under the auspices of Saudi Arabia, expired.
Despite the extension of the truce, AFP reported, citing eyewitnesses, that "clashes with various types of weapons had taken place in southern Khartoum".
Sudanese citizens confirmed the continuation of fighting in Khartoum and in Nyala in the Darfur region in western Sudan, which has already witnessed a bloody civil war in the first decade of this century.
"There is no ceasefire in Sudan," Horn of Africa analyst Rashid Abdi wrote on his Twitter account on Tuesday, referring to the continued fighting, adding that "there is a deep gap between the reality on the ground in Sudan and diplomacy in Jeddah."
Before the war, Sudan was one of the poorest countries in the world, with one in three people suffering from hunger, electricity cut for long periods every day and the health system on the verge of collapse.
Today, seven weeks into the war, 7 million of the 25 million Sudanese need humanitarian assistance to continue, according to the United Nations.
"13.6 million children are in urgent need of life-saving humanitarian support. Of them, 620,<> children are acutely malnourished," according to the UN agency.
Running water no longer reaches some areas of Khartoum, electricity is available for only a few hours a week, and three-quarters of hospitals are out of service.
Hospitals that continue to operate have few medical supplies and medicines, and are forced to buy fuel to run generators at twenty times their original price.
Since the war broke out on April 15, humanitarian organizations have been demanding security conditions to allow them access to Khartoum and Darfur to supply their warehouses looted or destroyed by the fighting.
But so far these organizations have been able to deliver only a very small amount of medicine and food as their workers cannot move because of the fighting, while aid shipments that have arrived by air are still stuck at customs.
Some parts of Darfur are completely cut off from the world without electricity, internet or telephone, and Sudanese activists say they fear the worst.
South Sudan, Chad, Ethiopia and other neighbouring countries fear the contagion of war will spread to them and are seeking help from the United Nations, which says it has received little money from its funders.
The war, which has killed more than 1800,1 people, according to ACLID, and more than 5.<> million displaced people and refugees, according to the United Nations, continues to claim victims and force more families from their homes.