The United States, Britain, Saudi Arabia and the UAE condemned the Houthi attacks, saying they threatened to disrupt the truce in Yemen, and Saudi Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan said that there are indications that the Houthis will not agree to extend the truce that expires in early October.
A joint statement by the governments of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, the United States and Britain said that a meeting of the four parties condemned the large-scale military reinforcements of the Houthis and the attacks that threatened to disrupt the truce, including those launched by the Houthis on Taiz, western Yemen.
The four countries expressed their full support for the efforts of the United Nations Special Envoy, Hans Grundberg, to extend and expand the armistice, in addition to the full implementation of all its conditions.
The Quartet affirmed commitment to the unity, sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of Yemen, calling for the implementation of the measures related to the armistice, including opening the main roads around Taiz, and agreeing on a joint mechanism for paying civil servants' salaries.
Faisal bin Farhan
In a related context, the Saudi Foreign Minister said during his participation yesterday, Friday, in a seminar organized remotely by the Middle East Center (based in Washington), that "there are indications that the Houthis will not agree to extend the current truce in Yemen."
Saudi Foreign Minister: The Houthis make endless demands (Anatolia)
The Saudi minister added that "the Houthis are making endless demands, and demands they know very well that the Yemeni government cannot fulfill."
During the same seminar, the head of the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad Al-Alimi, said earlier that his government is under pressure for the continuation of the truce, and that it takes it into account for humanitarian reasons. It is to look for commonalities and put off any disagreements.
Al-Alimi met yesterday, Friday, with the Saudi Foreign Minister in New York, and they discussed the UN truce and efforts to extend it in Yemen.
the end of the armistice
The meeting of the four countries comes about 8 days before the end of the Yemen truce between the government and the Houthi group, without announcing its extension until today.
The Houthis’ conditions for extending the armistice are on the way to being implemented: the opening of Sana’a airport and the port of Hodeidah and the payment of salaries to the employees, while the Houthis are preparing for a new package of demands to extend the armistice after the next, including;
Sharing oil and gas revenues with the legitimate government and operating electricity in its areas of control through the Marib gas station.
— Saleh Al Baidhani (@salehalbaydani) September 16, 2022
On the second of last April, a truce began between the government and the Houthis, and it was extended more than once for a period of two months in each of them.
At a time when international efforts are being made, especially the United Nations' efforts to extend the armistice, the two sides of the conflict are accusing each other of violating it.
For more than 7 years, Yemen has been witnessing a continuous war between forces loyal to the legitimate government, backed by a military coalition led by the neighboring Saudi Arabia, and the Iranian-backed Houthis, who have controlled several governorates, including Sanaa, since September 2014.