His terrible journey could have been even worse.
Robert Crimo, the young man accused of opening fire on Monday at a crowd during a US National Day parade in Highland Park, near Chicago, has "seriously considered" a second attack in Madison, in the Neighboring state of Wisconsin, police said Wednesday.
The 21-year-old told investigators he fled by car to Madison, where he "saw more celebrations" and "seriously considered using the gun he had in his vehicle to carry out a another attack," said Christopher Covelli of Highland Park Police.
This second attack was not planned, unlike the first, which had been prepared for several weeks, said the policeman.
Charged with 7 murders
The young man fired into the crowd on Monday from the roof of a business when the parade had just started, killing seven and wounding around thirty.
After his arrest Monday night near Chicago, he was questioned by Highland Park police and "provided a voluntary statement to investigators confessing to his actions," Deputy District Attorney Ben Dillon said in an appearance by videoconference with a judge.
Judge Theodore Potkonjak refused, in view of the charges, a release on bail while the suspect, long hair on the back of his neck and wearing tattoos on his neck and face, remained impassive during his appearance.
At a press conference that followed, prosecutor Eric Rinehart declined to speculate on the motive.
Robert Crimo has been charged with seven murders and faces life in prison without the possibility of parole if convicted.
He is due to appear before another judge in Waukegan Court on July 28.
United States: The suspect of the July 4 shooting, near Chicago, charged with seven murders
United States: What do we know about the July 4th massacre in Highland Park, near Chicago?