More than seven weeks after the flood disaster in the Rhineland-Palatinate Ahr valley, the district administrator of the Ahrweiler district, under pressure, applied for permanent disability.

Jürgen Pföhler's (CDU) application was recently submitted and will be processed promptly, said a spokeswoman for the supervisory and service directorate on Tuesday.

Accordingly, Pföhler submitted the application at the end of last week.

It was unclear when it would be decided.

Pföhler came under fire after the disaster.

The public prosecutor's office initiated an investigation about four weeks ago into the initial suspicion of negligent homicide and negligent bodily harm through negligence.

In addition, the authority is investigating a large member of the crisis team.

About a week and a half later, Pföhler resigned from office for health reasons.

It was said that he could no longer exercise the office due to illness.

In mid-August, the district council voted for a resolution by the SPD parliamentary group calling on Pföhler to withdraw completely.

Most of the CDU parliamentary group supported the resolution.

Three members of the parliamentary group abstained from the vote.

Extreme heavy rain had triggered devastating floods on rivers in North Rhine-Westphalia and Rhineland-Palatinate in mid-July.

Many communities, especially in the Ahr Valley, were devastated.

In Rhineland-Palatinate, 133 people were killed in connection with the flood.

Eight other dead people found had died before the flood, according to the state operations management.

Three other people were recently still missing.

The operations management counted a total of 766 injured.

There were 48 deaths in North Rhine-Westphalia.

Keywords: