Washington holds Iran responsible for the attack on the oil tanker and promises an "appropriate response"
On Sunday, the United States blamed Iran for the deadly attack on an Israeli oil tanker off the coast of Oman, and promised a "appropriate and imminent response."
And the oil tanker "MT Mercer Street" was attacked Thursday in the northern Indian Ocean, killing two crew members in an attack that the United States said was launched by a drone.
"After reviewing the available information, we are confident that Iran carried out this attack," US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said in a statement Sunday, adding that the attack was carried out by a drone.
"We are working with our partners to consider next steps and are consulting with governments in the region and beyond for an appropriate and imminent response," Blinken added.
Britain also said on Sunday that it considered Iran to have deliberately launched the attack "in clear violation of international law".
Earlier on Sunday, Iran denied that it was involved in the attack, and Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said, "Israel (...) must stop such baseless accusations."
He stressed that "Iran will not hesitate for a moment to defend its supreme interests and national security."
Follow our latest local and sports news and the latest political and economic developments via Google news