Wiesbaden (dpa / lhe) - Hesse's Interior Minister Peter Beuth (CDU) has announced more protection and support for people at risk in public life as a consequence of the series of right-wing extremist threatening letters "NSU 2.0".
If the State Criminal Police Office (LKA) urgently recommends certain security measures for such politically motivated intimidation attempts, there should be help, said Beuth to the newspapers of the VRM group (Friday edition).
In addition to advice and police protection, certain security measures would then be added.
"It is very important that people who express themselves freely are not compromised in their safety in the end," the Interior Minister justified the project. "Intimidation and threats are poison for democracy." The Frankfurt lawyer Seda Basay-Yildiz could also benefit from this support, since she was a public figure who had been exposed and therefore got into the crosshairs of an offender.
Basay-Yildiz had received the first threatening letter in the series of right-wing extremist emails with "NSU 2.0" signatures over two years ago.
The lawyer was a joint plaintiff in the earlier trial for the murders of the right-wing extremist terrorist cell NSU.
She then received a number of other threatening letters.
She massively criticized the fact that the bill of more than 5000 euros for her safety measures recommended by the LKA was not taken over by the state.
The interior minister had already assured the Hessian state parliament in March that he understood the lawyer's situation.
Even if there is no legal basis for her application to cover the costs, it will be checked whether the costs can be covered in another way, Beuth had announced.
The funds now planned are to be included in the upcoming state budget.
A 53-year-old man from Berlin is said to be responsible for sending the series of right-wing threatening letters nationwide under the synonym "NSU 2.0" since August 2018.
He was caught earlier this week and is on remand.
© dpa-infocom, dpa: 210507-99-505258 / 2