Frankfurt / Main (dpa) - The arrest of a suspect in connection with the “NSU 2.0” death threats does not mean the end of the investigation.
A spokeswoman for the Frankfurt public prosecutor's office said on Tuesday that the investigation into illegal data queries on Hessian police computers was continuing.
The public prosecutor's office and the Hessian State Criminal Police Office had announced on Tuesday night that a 53-year-old man had been arrested in Berlin during an apartment search.
The unemployed German is under urgent suspicion, "since August 2018, under the synonym" NSU 2.0 ", to have sent a series of threatening letters nationwide with inciting, insulting and threatening content."
A reference of the man to Hessen is currently not known, said the spokeswoman for the authorities.
The first threatening letters were sent to Frankfurt lawyer Seda Basay-Yildiz in August 2018, who has since received around 20 letters with death threats against herself and her family.
The left-wing politician Janine Wissler was still a Hesse politician as a member of the state parliament at the time of the first threatening letters.
Whether the arrested person, who in the past had also been convicted of rightly motivated crimes, had any connections with people within the police, was also still the subject of the investigation.
© dpa-infocom, dpa: 210504-99-462207 / 2