The statements of the official authorities in Tripoli brought the file of the exit of mercenaries and foreign forces back to the fore again, after the different positions between the President of the Supreme Council of State Khaled Al-Mishri and the French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian regarding the exit mechanism.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs of the National Unity Government, Najla Al-Manqoush, upon her reception on Sunday, President of the European Council Charles Michel in Tripoli, said that the government is adopting a clear and serious strategy for the complete and immediate exit of mercenaries.
Al-Mishri had previously stipulated the necessity of removing mercenaries and any illegally present forces first, then leaving the forces that came at the invitation of the legitimate authorities through clear agreements, in reference to the Turkish forces, in his latest statement on the subject during his meeting with the French Foreign Minister in Niger, in When Le Drian emphasized the necessity of leaving all forces simultaneously
The foreign ministers of France, Italy and Germany confirmed in a previous visit to Tripoli that it is necessary for the mercenaries to leave Libya.
The new Presidential Council headed by Muhammad Al-Manfi has not yet announced the mechanism chosen by the "5 + 5" joint committee regarding the expulsion of mercenaries and foreign forces from Libya and its date.
In mid-January, the 90-day deadline for the departure of foreign and mercenary forces under the ceasefire agreement signed in Geneva last October expired.
Al-Mashri (right) stressed upon his meeting with Ludrian the need to remove the mercenaries first and then leave the forces that came through the agreements (Al-Jazeera)
Member of the Supreme Council of State Belkacem Dabras believes that the view of the Supreme Council of State is that the mercenaries will leave Libya unconditionally and pursue the illegal parties that brought them to Libya and attempted to overthrow the legitimate authorities in Tripoli represented by the reconciliation government at the time.
Debars added to Al-Jazeera Net, "We believe that the last one who talks about the exit of mercenaries is the French side involved and involved in supporting the putschists, and we think that the national unity government differentiates between the legitimate bodies that have concluded international agreements and the illegal parties that tried to overthrow the government and waged a brutal war on Tripoli." .
Debars considered that the national unity government is facing strong pressure from international bodies to equalize all parties, indicating that the removal of the Russian Wagner Company, Janjaweed and Chadian mercenaries whom Haftar brought to Libya may lead to the amendment of some provisions of the Turkish-Libyan security agreement.
Debars clarified that the National Unity Government is required today to extend its influence over all of Libyan soil, as it is the one who possesses legitimacy in Libya and bears full responsibility after assuming the reins of power.
Member of the Supreme Council of State, Kamel Al-Jatlawi, confirmed that the Presidential Council, as the Supreme Commander of the Libyan Army, has not yet announced the mechanism for removing mercenaries from Libya.
On the possibility of freezing the Turkish-Libyan security agreement, Al-Jatlawi told Al-Jazeera Net, "There is a general tendency to benefit from the Turkish renaissance and experience, and this is what resulted from the visit of the Presidential Council headed by exile to Ankara."
Al-Jatlawi stated that a session of the Supreme Council of State would be held on Monday to discuss the visit of the council’s president to Niger, pointing out that the Supreme Council differentiates between a formal agreement in terms of a legitimate authority and the presence of mercenaries.
In turn, writer and political analyst Abdullah Al-Kabeer believes that Al-Mashri's position does not necessarily express the position of the new executive authority, which may adopt the same position if it is freed from external pressures.
"If there is progress in expelling Wagner mercenaries from Libya, the Presidency Council may agree with the Turkish government to freeze the security agreement to give more confidence to the parties opposing the Turkish presence," he added.
Al-Kabeer stated in his statement to Al-Jazeera Net that the expected and preferred scenario for the US administration is the simultaneous exit of mercenaries if international pressure succeeds in getting Russia and Turkey to remove their forces from Libya.
Al-Kabeer ruled out any dispute between the 5 + 5 Joint Commission, as the agreement provides for the removal of all mercenaries at specific stages.
Al-Kabeer pointed out that the authorities in Tripoli are fully aware that the security and military alliance with Turkey is a safety valve against any other military folly that Haftar may introduce if he feels that he is in a better military situation.Keywords: