Zwickau (dpa / sn) - A mishap while cooking triggered a major fire service in Zwickau on Wednesday evening.

A 65-year-old tenant came to the hospital with suspected smoke poisoning, the police said.

He left a pan of oil on the stove unattended, whereupon the oil ignited and the flames damaged the extractor hood.

The tenant was still able to put out the fire himself.

The apartment is no longer habitable because of the soot.

The man is now being investigated for negligent arson.

The fire brigade was in action with eight vehicles.

© dpa-infocom, dpa: 210318-99-868666 / 2