Gelsenkirchen (dpa) - Long no victory, too few points and now also Zoff in the supervisory board: The acutely relegation-threatened Bundesliga soccer club FC Schalke 04 did not give a good picture in connection with the personnel Ralf Rangnick in the opinion of its chairman of the supervisory board.
“Overall, that's not a good story for Schalke.
Especially because of the involvement of the sponsors and the accompanying media campaign, ”said Jens Buchta in an interview with the“ Süddeutsche Zeitung ”(Tuesday).
The background to this is the advance of a group from business and politics in association with supervisory board Stefan Gesenhues, who, in Buchta’s opinion, had contacted the former Schalke trainer Rangnick for a job in the club.
Gesenhues announced at the most recent supervisory board meeting that the group had already negotiated certain conditions and had also outlined key points on the question of salary and the term, said Buchta.
Because, according to the chairman of the supervisory board, this group "made contact with sponsors and advised them in at least one case to reconsider their engagements in order to put pressure on the association", Buchta called this behavior "harmful to the association".
Regardless of the procedure by "an illegitimate group", the supervisory board now wants to hold talks with Ralf Rangnick about a commitment if the 62-year-old was not the focus of the committee when looking for a sports director.
"We didn't approach Ralf Rangnick because we thought we couldn't offer him the framework conditions he had in Leipzig and Hoffenheim," said Buchta.
© dpa-infocom, dpa: 210316-99-838592 / 2
Interview in "Süddeutsche Zeitung" (payment barrier)