Hamburg (dpa / lno) - An Advent arrangement that caught fire may have saved the life of an 84-year-old woman in Hamburg.

The senior citizen fell in her apartment in Hamburg-Lurup on Monday morning, had seriously injured her head and was possibly briefly passed out, as the fire department announced on Tuesday.

Before that, the woman had probably lit the candle on the Christmas arrangement, which had burned down so far that the arrangement caught fire and the smoke alarm began to beep because of the smoke.

A neighbor heard the warning noises and immediately notified the fire department.

She violently broke into the apartment and was able to quickly rescue the 84-year-old, who was now calling for help.

The woman was driven to hospital with suspected traumatic brain injury.

Notification of the fire brigade