Trier (dpa) - Two days after the fatal rampage in Trier, a minute's silence is planned for the victims and all those affected.
The Lord Mayor of Trier Wolfram Leibe (SPD) has called on all Trier people to stop in memory of the dead and injured at 1:46 p.m.
The church bells will also ring in Trier and in many places throughout the diocese, as a spokeswoman for the diocese said.
Prime Minister Malu Dreyer (SPD) said she would be happy if people across the country would join the commemoration.
She asked authorities, administrations, schools, institutions and companies to take part in the minute of silence.
1:46 p.m. was exactly the time at which the rampage had started on Tuesday in Trier city center.
The 51-year-old, who was later arrested, drove a zigzag course in order to run over people.
It was his intention to "kill or at least injure as many people as possible," it said.
Five people died and 18 others were injured.
Only four minutes after the first emergency call, police officers were able to find and arrest the driver.
An arrest warrant was issued against the suspect on Wednesday, including for murder in five cases.
The questioning of the suspect from the Trier-Saarburg district is to be continued, the Trier public prosecutor said.
The motive for the rampage is still unclear.
So far, however, the investigators have ruled out a political or religious background.
The man was drunk at the time of the crime.
The grief of the people in Trier and the surrounding area was great, said the diocese spokeswoman.
A “memorial site” has been set up in Trier Cathedral: a condolence book is on display, which is also widely used.
The ringing of bells at 1:46 p.m. could be an invitation to silent prayer.
Five people died in the pedestrian zone: three women aged 25, 52 and 73 as well as a 45 year old man and his nine and a half week old daughter.
One of the fatalities was a vocational school teacher.
© dpa-infocom, dpa: 201203-99-552199 / 2