China News Service, September 27, reported that after a case of "brain-eating worm" infection in Florida, USA in July, this kind of brain-eating amoeba was found in tap water in southeastern Texas. Some local residents It has been warned not to use any tap water to avoid contracting this terrible parasite.

On June 27, local time, people in Arizona, USA, were drifting in the river to cool off.

  According to the report, the Texas Environmental Quality Commission recently issued a warning to users in the area covered by the Brazosport Water Authority, warning them not to use any tap water because the brain-eating amoeba Negrilia flexneri was found in the water supply.

  "The Texas Environmental Quality Commission is working with the Brazosport Water Authority under the direction of the governor's office to resolve this issue as soon as possible," the notice read.

  According to reports, residents of Lake Jackson, Freeport, Angleton, Brazoria, Richwood, Oyster Creek, Clute and Rosenberg, as well as the Dow Chemical Plant in Freeport, and criminal justice facilities in Clemens and Wayne Scott have all received warnings.

  However, according to a statement on social media, the Texas Environmental Quality Commission has since eliminated hazards in almost all locations, but still urges residents of the Lake Jackson area to pay attention to the "do not use water" warning.

  The "brain-eating worm", also known as Negria flexneri, is a single-celled organism that usually lives in warm fresh water.

It can enter the central nervous system through the nasal cavity, infect the brain, and eventually cause brain death in the infected person.

  People may experience severe headaches, fever, nausea and vomiting after being infected with "brain-eating worms.


People may also have stiff necks, seizures, hallucinations, and even coma.

It is said that infected persons generally die within 1 to 18 days after the onset of symptoms.

  According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), "brain-eaters" are usually found in soil, warm lakes, rivers, and hot springs.

It can also be found in poorly maintained or unchlorinated pools and warm water discharged from factories.

The months of infection with this parasite usually occur in July, August, and September, because at that time, the water level is low and the water temperature is high.

  The CDC says that although brain-eating amoeba infections are rare, most are fatal.

From 2009 to 2018, only 34 infections were reported in the United States.

Of these reported cases, 30 people were infected with water used in recreational facilities.

  According to CDC data, from 1962 to 2018, 145 people were infected by brain-eating amoebas, and only 4 survived.