The members of the UN Security Council expressed their deep annoyance at the increased risk of the disintegration or explosion of the "Safr" oil tanker, which is threatened with drowning or explosion south of the Red Sea, which could cause an environmental, economic and humanitarian catastrophe for Yemen and its neighbors.
The carrier carries Safer 1.1 million barrels of crude oil, and it has been parked off the Ras Isa oil port on the Red Sea for more than 5 years.
On May 27, the United Nations relief coordinator, Mark Lowcock, said at a Security Council meeting that water had begun to seep into the engine room of the tanker, warning of the possibility of massive damage.
"The danger that Safer poses is not just an environmental danger, although the environmental danger will be terrible, but it also represents a direct and strong danger to the safety and possibly the lives of millions of Yemenis," said Lockook.
Warning and crisis
While the Safer company divers were able to stop the leak, Lockook warned that "it is impossible to determine the time period during which the tanker could withstand.
"Safer carries 1.1 million barrels of oil, which is almost 4 times the amount of oil that was leaked in the Exxon Valdez disaster ... that disaster which the world is still talking about after 30 years.
Lockook had talked about the carrier crisis during monthly statements about Yemen before the Security Council more than a year ago.
However, the video session convened by the Security Council at the invitation of Britain, during which UN officials expressed their fear of a "catastrophic scenario" if oil leaked from the decaying tanker to the sea, during which no date was set for the process of inspecting the ship that is supposed to be carried out by an international team of experts. , In preparation for unloading it, whose estimated cost is around 40 million dollars.
Important and details
In this context, the United Nations announced that it had sent Tuesday to the Houthis, who control the port of Hodeidah, which is facing the tanker Safer, details of the mission that international experts intend to carry out on the ship, noting that it is waiting for their response to it as soon as possible.
The United Nations announced on Sunday that the Houthis had given their initial approval to the arrival of an international team to inspect the tanker, but they had already done the same in the summer of 2019, before returning from their decision at the last minute, before the UN team began its mission.
Last June, the Houthis requested guarantees that the tanker be repaired and that the oil revenues on board be transferred to pay the salaries of employees working in departments under their authority.
On the other hand, the Yemeni government - internationally recognized - has called for spending any amount that comes from selling this oil on health and humanitarian projects.
The "Safer" tanker, which was built 45 years ago and used as a floating storage platform, has not been subject to any maintenance since 2015, which has corroded its structure and deteriorated its condition.