The Houthis announced the implementation of a wide-scale military operation in the Saudi rear, at a time when the Saudi-Emirati coalition said that it had intercepted a ballistic missile launched by the Houthis from Sana'a towards the capital Riyadh.
Reuters news agency quoted one witness hearing two explosions and seeing smoke in the sky of the Saudi capital early Tuesday morning.
Colonel Turki al-Maliki, spokesman for the Saudi-Emirati coalition, said that the coalition forces intercepted and destroyed a missile launched by the Houthis towards Riyadh "in a hostile operation" to target civilians.
Missiles and drones
Al-Maliki said in a statement that the Houthis targeted the Kingdom yesterday evening and at dawn today, with eight booby trapped planes and three ballistic missiles, and confirmed that the coalition forces responded to "these sinister attacks."
The Houthi attacks targeted the Saudi capital and the cities of Najran and Jizan, south of the Kingdom.
The Houthi "Al Masirah" television announced that the Houthi fighters carried out a "wide operation in the depth of Saudi Arabia."
He also said that the Houthi military spokesman would issue a statement in the coming hours to announce the details of the attack.
The strikes between the two sides intensified after the end of last month's ceasefire, which was announced due to the pandemic of the Coruna virus and lasted for six weeks.