Just until the Swedes reconciled themselves with the idea of ​​spending the summer in Sweden, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs decided to lift their travel advice to several European countries from June 30 - among other things to the popular holiday destinations Spain, Italy and France. 

After the announcement, travel companies have seen a significant increase in bookings. At the same time, many of the countries on the Foreign Ministry's list are among the worst corona sufferers in the world and the risk of getting covid-19 during the trip cannot be overlooked.

Anyone who becomes ill in an EU or EEA country has the right to necessary medical care through the European Health Insurance Card. An arrangement that applies even in coronation times.

- If you are in an EU country and get sick, the Swedish Social Insurance Agency makes the assessment that the EU card should be valid as usual. But it has not been sharply tested to such an extent that there is a risk of being denied care, says Jonatan Ohlin, press contact at Försäkringskassan.

No specific foreign councils

With the card you only pay the patient fees that the country's own residents pay.

- If you do not have the card, it may be that you have to pay to receive care, but you can get it back if it concerns unplanned care in the public sector and you save the receipt, says Jonathan Ohlin.

According to the Swedish recommendations, anyone who feels ill should stay at home. If you travel with symptoms of, for example, buses or flights, you risk infecting others. However, how the person who develops symptoms during a stay abroad can act cannot answer.

- We have not issued any specific recommendations for this situation, says Pernilla Engström, press contact at the Public Health Authority.

Can't count with help from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

There is also no plan to take home Swedes who are getting sick abroad.

- We have said that Swedes who will be traveling abroad should not assume that they will receive assisted home trips. If you become ill abroad and need assistance, you should primarily contact your insurance company, says Erik Karlsson at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' press service.

"And you have to follow the recommendations of the local authorities," he adds.