The athlete Benjamin Compaoré will be summoned to court in late June for repeated domestic violence and was placed under judicial supervision Thursday, the Créteil public prosecutor's office told AFP on Saturday, confirming information from the Parisian.
The athlete is accused by his partner of having raped her on several occasions, from August 26, 2019 until March 23, explained the public prosecutor. The latter complained to the police station in Nogent-sur-Marne (Val-de-Marne) on Monday.
Referred for "habitual violence resulting in total incapacity for work of less than 8 days on a spouse or partner", the 32-year-old triple jump champion will have to appear on June 30 before the Créteil court.
The 2014 European triple jump champion and medalist at the world indoor championships in 2016 has so far been banned from appearing at the home of his partner and entering into contact with her, according to the prosecution.
Interior Minister Christophe Castaner said Thursday that domestic violence had increased by 36% in the area of the Paris police prefecture, which includes Val-de-Marne.
To try to combat this consequence of confinement, he also announced that women victims of violence will now be able to report directly to pharmacies, which will be responsible for alerting the police.
© 2020 AFP