Lebanese President Michel Aoun issued a decree Tuesday evening to form a new government headed by Hassan Diab, after nearly three months of a popular protest movement that toppled the previous government headed by Saad Hariri.
The new government consists of twenty ministers who have not previously assumed political responsibilities, but who are largely affiliated with major political parties.
Hassan Diab said after announcing his cabinet formation that the Lebanese government is a government of specialists and not a party. He added,
We pledge to restore lost money and protect the poor. And he continued, I invite a workshop for the advancement of Lebanon.
Hassan Diab went on to say that the new government is a rescue team and will deal with the protesters' demands. He added: I salute the uprising that pushed Lebanon to victory.
Hassan Diab said that the country is living in a difficult period in its history.
According to Al-Arabiya, the government came as follows:
- Prime Minister Hassan Diab
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense: Zina Aker
- Minister of Interior and Municipalities: Major General Mohammed Fahmy
- Minister of Finance: Ghazi Wazani
- Minister of Foreign Affairs: Nassif even
- Minister of Communications: Talal Hawat
- Minister of Justice: Marie-Claude Negm
- Minister of Public Works and Transport: Michel Najjar
- Minister of Labor: Lamia Yammine
- Minister of Energy and Water: Raymond Ghajar
- Minister of Tourism and Social Affairs: Ramzi Mishrifieh
- Minister of Youth and Sports: Varti Ohanyan
- Minister of Education: Tariq Al-Majzoub
- Minister of Economy and Trade: Raoul Naama
- Minister of the Environment and Administrative Development Affairs: Damianos Train
Minister of Health: Hamad Hassan
- Minister of Agriculture: Abbas Mortada
- Minister of Industry: Imad Love God
Minister of the Displaced: Ghada Shraim
- Minister of Information: Manal Abdel Samad