- Iraq. Conte's Tweet: we will protect our military
- Iraq, foreign troops reposition themselves. Trump: "Leaving now would be the worst thing"
- Iraqis in the streets against the Iranian attack: "Bring your war out of Iraq!"
- Iran. US forces on high alert, drone attacks feared
- Iran, mortal crush at the funeral of Soleimani in Kerman, dozens of dead. Pictures
- Oceanic crowd for the last farewell to Qassem Soleimani. Iran studies plans for revenge
ShareJanuary 08 2020
"The American people must be grateful and happy, no Americans were injured, we suffered no casualties, but only minor damage to our military base," said US President Donald Trump in his speech to the nation after the Iranian attacks on Iraqi bases hosting American troops. "As long as I am president of the United States, Iran will never be allowed to have a nuclear weapon." So Donald Trump started his statement in the White House.
"Iran now appears to be at a disadvantage, it is good for the whole world. No American has been killed thanks to the precautions we had taken," he added, explaining that "severe sanctions against Iran will remain until he changes his attitude" .
The US president defended the killing of Iranian general Qassem Soleimani on January 3 in a US raid on Baghdad, saying he was "the world's greatest terrorist", and adding that Soleimani's hands were "covered in blood".
"Responsible for some of the worst atrocities, it fueled bloody civil wars across the region," explained the President. "He was planning an attack on American targets, but we prevented him from doing so," he added.
The president announced further "immediate" sanctions against Iran. And he said: I will ask for a greater involvement of NATO. Donald Trump also called on world powers to "abandon what remains" of the Iranian nuclear deal.
The United States "is ready for peace, with everyone who wants it," Trump said addressing the leaders of Iran and the Iranian people.
"We don't need oil in the Middle East," said the US president, claiming that since he took office, "America has achieved energy independence."
The attack on US bases in Iraq
Iran launched the 'Soleimani Martyr' operation by launching a missile attack in Iraq against two bases that house the American and coalition troops, including Italian soldiers. A rain of cruise and short-range ballistic missiles left Iranian territory and hit the base of al-Asad and Erbil, as the first retaliation for the killing of General Qassem Soleimani by the USA. Iran had spoken of a death toll of 80. Data denied first by the Pentagon and by NATO and then by the US president himself.
The Italian military in Erbil is unharmed
The personnel of the Italian military contingent in Erbil gathered in a security area - according to what ANSA learned - and the men took refuge in special bunkers. They are all unharmed. The Pentagon said in a statement that after informing US President Donald Trump of the facts, he is still considering the consequences of the offensive.
Cnn: Use warned in advance of the attack from Iraq
The United States would have been informed in advance of the Iranian attack on their bases by the Iraqis, who had been alerted by Tehran. This is supported by an Arab diplomatic source cited with evidence by CNN. Baghdad, according to the source, reported to Washington "which bases would be affected" after receiving notice from the Iranians.
Iraqi President Condemns Attacks: "Don't Turn Country into Battlefield"
Iraqi President Barham Saleh condemned the Iranian missile attack on two US bases in Iraq and warned of "dangerous developments" in the region. "We denounce the Iranian missile bombing that hit military installations on Iraqi territory and renew our rejection of the repeated violation of state sovereignty and the transformation of Iraq into a battlefield for the warring parties," read a note
Khamenei: attack on US troops a success
The missile attack on US troops and the coalition in Iraq has been successful, said the Iranian Supreme Guide, Ali Khamenei in a speech broadcast live on Iran. The Supreme Guide speaks from the holy city of Qom after the Iranian military attack on bases hosting US troops in Iraq. "Today the nation of Iran is well equipped," added Khamenei, "but we do not rely solely on military means." 'The presence of Americans in the region must end' '- he continued -' 'Americans spread destruction and corruption in the region and for this reason their presence must end' ', added Khamenei. "We slapped the US but it's not over yet."
Zarif: attack on bases in self-defense
Iran's attack on US bases in Iraq was conducted in "self-defense" against a "terrorist attack" carried out with the killing of General Qassem Soleimani. Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif told the media in Tehran.
Di Maio: what we feared happened
"What we feared happened. Iran responded to the US raid by launching dozens of missiles against the military bases of Ayn al-Asad and Erbil in Iraq. Both host personnel from the international anti-Isis coalition, which also includes Italy. " Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio said in a post on Facebook. "We follow with particular concern - he adds - the latest developments and condemn the attack by Tehran. This is a serious act that increases tension in an already critical and very delicate context".