- The Turkish military operation in Syria continues. Erdogan: if the EU hinders us we send refugees
- Erdogan orders the attack: the Turkish army invades northern Syria. Hit the Kurdish posts
- Damascus: Turkish artillery bombs the north-east of Syria
- Syria. Ankara: "Ready to cross the border". Artillery hits Kurdish positions
- Conte receives NATO secretary general Stoltenberg: "Turkish military initiative worries in Syria"
- Syria, the US takes the "Beatles" of ISIS into custody
Share11 October 2019
More than 70,000 people have been displaced from the civilian population in northern Syria since the beginning of the Turkish offensive, which took place last Wednesday. The activists of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights denounced it. Yesterday, UNHCR, the United Nations Refugee Agency, spoke of tens of thousands of civilians fleeing the fighting triggered by the 'Operation source of peace'.
Meanwhile, the Turkish army has taken control of a ckeck point at the entrance to Ras al-Ain, in northern Syria, on the border with Turkey. Al Jazeera reports it. The military post was controlled by the Syrian Democratic Forces. Ankara also announced that a first soldier was killed fighting against the Kurdish militia of the Popular Protection Units (Ypg). "Our brother fell martyr on 10 October in a clash against the Ypg terrorists in the Operation Source of Peace area," said the Turkish Defense Ministry.
France: sanctions against Turkey will be discussed at the EU Council
"The possibility of imposing sanctions on Turkey is on the table and the EU will discuss it at the European Council next week": French vice-minister Amelie de Montchalin told French Inter this morning.
La de Montchalin added that "one cannot remain powerless in the face of a shocking situation for civilians, for Syrian forces for five years alongside the anti-ISIS coalition, but above all for the stability of the region".
Trump: "We won and we returned home"
"We have no more soldiers there because we won and we left, we brought the victory back to the United States." So Donald Trump in a meeting in Minneapolis still defended his decision to withdraw the US military from northern Syria, a move criticized by many Republicans because it is considered a betrayal of the Kurdish allies. "Turkey is now running a tough campaign against the Kurds - Trump said later - we get along with the Kurds, we helped them and don't forget that they are fighting for their land". Then attacking those who criticize him for the withdrawal, he added: "we had to stay in Syria for 30 days, and now we have been there for 10 years - he said - we had to go back to Afghanistan for a short time, and we have been there for almost 19 years" "It's time to bring them home, we did our job," he concluded.
The offensive Turkey has not yet passed the Trump red line
Turkey has so far remained within the red line by US president Donald Trump. Trump requested a "human" offensive. According to US officials, the action beyond the warning is "ethnic cleansing ... air strikes or other attacks against civilian populations". "This is what we are seeing right now. We have not seen significant examples of this so far, but it is very early," an official on condition of anonymity told reporters.
Sanctions proposal for Turkey ready for Congress
The Republican deputy at the US Congress, Liz Cheney, is ready to present in the coming days a law imposing sanctions on Turkey for the attack on Kurdish militias. The daughter of former vice president Dick Cheney, despite being one of Donald Trump's closest allies, joined the chorus of criticism of the president for abandoning his Kurdish allies. More than 20 Republican deputies would have already expressed support for his proposal. Among them the leader of the Republican minority in the House Kevin McCarthy.
Erdogan warns the EU: "If you hinder us, we send you Syrian refugees"
If the EU accuses us of "occupation" of Syria and will hinder our military "operation", "we will open the doors to 3.6 million refugees and send them to you". Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said this , speaking to the provincial leaders of his party, AKP (Justice and Development Party). Less than 24 hours after the "peace source" military operation in northeastern Syria, "109 terrorists were killed" by Turkish raids, the Turkish president said.
Turkey stated in a letter to the UN Security Council that its military operation would be "proportionate, measured and responsible". "The operation will target only terrorists and their hiding places, shelters, weapons and equipment", the document reads, of which Ansa has had vision, stating that "all precautions are taken to avoid collateral damage to the civilian population ". In the letter sent by Ankara to the UN Security Council, it states that "negotiations with the US on a security zone remain inconclusive".