The famous Spanish tenor was the director general of the Los Angeles Opera. The singer completely refutes the accusations of 9 women against him, and says he is determined to prove his innocence.
" The accusations that I am subject to have created an atmosphere that prevents me from being useful to this company that I love so much, " said Placido Domingo, announcing his resignation on Wednesday (October 2nd). It's a departure with a heavy heart. "
It must be said that the famous Spanish tenor of 78 years was director of the opera of Los Angeles since 2003. An institution that he had largely contributed to found.
Last week, the star of lyric singing in half a century of a global career was giving up on performing again in New York. This time, he cancels all of his concerts in the United States.
World of the divided opera
Some operas such as San Francisco, Philadelphia and Dallas had already taken the lead by removing his appearances from the first charges.
But the Domingo affair divides the world of opera. In Europe, none of his performances had been canceled. Recently, at the Salzburg Festival in Austria, Placido Domingo even received a long standing ovation.
Some charges date back to 1980
In the wake of the #MeeToo movement, his troubles began in August with the release of an extensive investigation by the US Associated Press. Nine women accuse him of sexual harassment for several decades. Some of these charges date back to 1980.
These women, including several singers, evoke inappropriate gestures, insistent phone calls. One of them claims to have given in to sex for fear of ruining her career. Another reports that he was punished for refusing his advances. Placido Domingo denies all these accusations and says he wants to " restore his reputation ".