Two weeks over the expected delivery can be started with help. In Sweden, this usually happens after 42 complete weeks of pregnancy, in many other countries it happens in week 41.
- We have about 2000 starts a year. If we were to introduce week 41, we would land at about 3,000 startups a year, says Nils Crona, operations manager for childbirth care at Sahlgrenska University Hospital, SU.Week 41 safer for the child
In 2017, the SWEPI study started, a national study conducted by SU in which 15 childbirth clinics around the country participated to find out what is best for children and moms - week 41 or 42.
In January this year, the clinics received preliminary results - which reportedly showed that Week 41 is safer for the child.
- It seems that the preliminary data is more advantageous for the child to start after week 41, says Nils Crona, operations manager for childbirth care at Sahlgrenska University Hospital, SU.Sahlgrenska is waiting
In Dalarna, after the preliminary announcement, it has been decided to change its routines. At SU, you have chosen to wait.
- We have not pressed the start button yet and it is a common strategy for the four childbirth clinics in the Västra Götaland region, says Nils Crona.
What makes you wait?
- We want to see the study published and analyzed so that you can really answer the question “How big are the benefits. Are there any disadvantages? ”Says Nils Crona.
The final results of the SWEPI study are expected to arrive this fall.
- It is not a matter of resources that we wait. We want to be safe, as it is not without complications to start a delivery, says Nils Crona.
From what you have seen where do you think the decision will land?
" I think we will land in that we will start earlier , " says Nils Crona, operations manager for childbirth care at Sahlgrenska University Hospital, SU.