The first online casino was launched more than 25 years ago but faintly resembled modern sites. It had poor graphics, low data security, and inconvenient navigation. But as time went by, more technologies emerged, resulting in a bigger number of software developers and instruments that boosted the industry.
Modern software is user-friendly, fast, and very functional. For example, you can play at the best NZD-accepting casinos, download native applications, and make a bet on your smartwatch! And even though you don’t need to know how this software works to enjoy casino games, it is still a good idea to understand its basics and know what developers to look out for.
Types of casino software
Not many online casinos work on their software so that players can enjoy thousands of games across hundreds of platforms. But that’s not the only reason why casino software is so important. It also ensures that the games are fair and the outcomes are random. Below, we want to discuss three main types of casino software. They work relatively the same, so everything depends on your preferences and gambling style:
- Instant mode. It is the most common iGaming software that allows playing through your browser without the need to install anything. Thanks to Adobe Flash, such software runs perfectly on all devices and operating systems. Just head to your browser, insert the casino’s name, and start gambling.
- Downloadable software. A more traditional way of gambling, it is compatible with personal computers that run on Windows. Downloadable software is usually available at older-generation casinos. But modern players still choose it for convenience and an extra layer of protection.
- Mobile applications. They can be downloaded at App Store or Play Market, and give a chance to avoid sign-ups during each session. As a rule, native casino apps have better design and navigation, although the lobby might be smaller.
Popular software developers
Thousands of games in the lobby, smooth navigation, and rewarding bonus programs are the merit of software developers that work day and night to keep the industry highly technological. There are hundreds of studios on the market, but the list of all-star companies remains relatively the same throughout the years:
- Microgaming. Founded in 1994, Microgaming is considered one of the industry pioneers and stands behind hundreds of gambling innovations. Apart from exclusive and beautiful games, this studio creates turnkey solutions with exclusive bonuses, progressive jackpots, and management tools. Year after year, Microgaming collects the highest industry rewards. For example, Platform of the Year 2021 (EGR), Software Supplier 2020 (EGR), and iGaming Software Supplier 2018 (GA Gaming Awards).
- NetEnt. It is one of the most popular iGaming software creators on the modern market and not surprising. NetEnt has developed over 200 cutting-edge games and their systems handled 58.3 transactions since 2019! This studio is licensed by MGA, UKGC, and approved by eCOGRA, so gambling with NetEnt is always safe.
- Aristocrat. An Australian software developer has been on the market since the 1950s and is the best in providing an outstanding land-based experience. Knowing how to create real machines, helped Aristocrat design such unique slots as Queen of the Nile and 5 Dragons.
- Playtech. This studio was founded in 1999 in Estonia and for years remains the leader in the development of table and live dealer games. Its Vegas Tech ensures high-quality graphics and a unique experience through webcams and professional dealers across the globe. If you need top-notch live dealer games, choose Playtech and you won’t go wrong.
- iGT. The last but not the least studio on our list is International Game Technology which not only develops casino games but has options for sports bettors and iGaming owners. This April, IGT announced that it made an agreement to acquire iSoftBet, another popular iGaming developer, for around $170 million in cash.
Land-based casinos have long gone by the wayside, and gambling sites have occupied the leading industry positions. One of the main reasons is a top-notch and constantly evolving software that changes the market literally every day. Tens of developers create fair, random, and beautiful games and offer cutting-edge technologies we could only dream of. We are living in amazing times and just need to follow the changes attentively not to miss anything.