Moves to Inter Miami: Footballer Lionel Messi
Photo: Julian Finney / Getty Images
Superstar Lionel Messi continues his football career at Inter Miami in the USA. This was confirmed by the world champion in an interview with the Spanish sports daily newspapers »El Mundo Deportivo« and »Sport«. » The decision has been made," said the 35-year-old: "I'm not going back to Barcelona, I'm going to Inter Miami."
Messi thus confirmed what international media had reported unanimously in the hours before. "It's not 100 percent clear yet, we still have a few things to sort out," Messi said, "but we've decided to go that way."
Offers from Saudi Arabia rejected
It's a remarkable turnaround. Previously, there had been extensive speculation about the future of the Argentine, who played his last game for Paris St. Germain last weekend. There he had not renewed his contract, which expires on June 30.
As a result, speculation abounded as to where Messi would continue his career. Highly lucrative offers from Saudi Arabia were on the table, and FC Barcelona also hoped for a return of its former star.
No return to Barça
"I really wanted to," Messi said now, "but after the experiences and the farewell I had there, I didn't want to be in the same situation again."
In the summer of 2021, Messi had left the club, which was in considerable economic difficulties. Since then, the situation has hardly changed, the return was hardly feasible for Barça. Nevertheless, he will probably get a farewell, the club announced on Wednesday evening that he would work on a tribute to Messi.
"If Barcelona doesn't work, then I wanted to leave Europe, get out of the limelight, think more about my family," Messi said. He will now play in the North American professional league MLS, where he will also earn big money: A total of 200 million euros, 50 million per year for four seasons, the newspaper "Sport" recently reported.