We have sent a notification for this news.

Stay up to date with important news with notifications too.

No thanks Yes, please

Chelsea won the Champions League for the second time in club history on Saturday.

The team of manager Thomas Tuchel was 1-0 too strong for Manchester City in an English final in Porto.

Kai Havertz was crowned match winner.

The record purchase of Chelsea, which was taken over from Bayer Leverkusen for 80 million euros, made the only goal and his first ever goal in the Champions League just before half-time.

At City, Nathan Aké, who will join the training camp of the Dutch national team in Lagos, Portugal, on Sunday in preparation for the European Championship next month, remained on the bench.

Hakim Ziyech did not get any playing time at Chelsea.

The match was played under the watchful eye of more than fourteen thousand spectators in the Estádio do Dragão of FC Porto.

Initially, the game was to be finished in Istanbul, but that was not possible due to the corona measures.

Chelsea captured the Champions League earlier in 2012 and will play against Europa League winner Villarreal for the European Super Cup on 11 August.

City, which became the champion of England by far, was in the final for the first time.


Havertz gives Chelsea the lead in the CL final

Chelsea dominate against City

Chelsea was the parent against City from the start.

The Blues had won the last two head-to-head (1-0 at Wembley in the FA Cup semi-finals and 1-2 in the Premier League) and played with a lot of confidence.

That resulted in two big chances in the opening phase, but they were not spent on Timo Werner.

The striker, who has been missing many opportunities all season, first mowed over the ball and a few minutes later shot way too weak.

Chelsea took the lead in the 42nd minute.

Havertz was sent in by former Vitesse player Mason Mount, and tapped the ball into the empty goal after goalkeeper Ederson Moraes failed to intervene.


De Bruyne bursts into tears after forced substitution in the CL final

City just does not achieve great opportunities

City could hardly offer anything in return.

'The Citizens' created two small chances in the first half (Raheem Sterling ran into keeper Édouard Mendy and Phil Foden saw his shot blocked by Antonio Rüdiger at the last minute).

In the second half, City, where manager Pep Guardiola did not change halfway through, did not become much more threatening and soon had to accept a setback.

Kevin De Bruyne was hit in the face by Rüdiger and left the field crying.

Chelsea also had little to fear from City afterwards and almost doubled the score in the final phase.

Substitute Christian Pulisic, who replaced Werner, failed face to face with Ederson after a clever pass from Havertz.

That miss did not cost Chelsea dear. City tried to squeeze out an offensive with substitute Sergio Agüero, who is leaving on a free transfer, and was still very close to 1-1 well into injury time, but Riyad Mahrez's volley went over.