Trainer Dick Advocaat ran from the field crying on Sunday after his last game as a club trainer.

De Hagenaar, who saw Feyenoord win the final of the play-offs for European football against FC Utrecht with 2-0, is happy that he was able to conclude positively.

The 73-year-old Attorney had trouble controlling his emotions throughout the match in De Kuip.

After Luis Sinisterra's 1-0, the resident of The Hague was already sitting on the couch with wet eyes and after the final whistle he ran crying into the catacombs.

"I really can't do anything about it," Lawyer told


after the match in De Kuip


"I have always had that I often go full and that has become increasingly extreme in recent years. It is nice that it ends with a victory."

The 2-0 win over FC Utrecht gave Advocaat a worthy farewell to a long career as a club trainer, which started in the eighties.

The 'Kleine Generaal' became champion with PSV, Rangers and FC Zenit, with which he also won the UEFA Cup, and was national coach of the Dutch national team three times.

"I am especially proud that I have kept it up for so long," said Lawyer.

"That means that I feel good about myself and don't lose much, otherwise you won't last long. It's a difficult job and a very lonely job if you lose a lot. Fortunately, I won a lot."

Dick Advocaat ended his career as a club trainer with a victory over FC Utrecht.

Dick Advocaat ended his career as a club trainer with a victory over FC Utrecht.

Photo: Pro Shots

'Have a duel with fighting football over the line'

Due to the victory over FC Utrecht under trainer Arne Slot, Feyenoord may soon try to qualify for the main tournament of the new Conference League from the second preliminary round.

Lawyer saw that his team struggled with FC Utrecht's game after a strong first half after the break.

"The first half was good, then FC Utrecht started to play more sharply and we had trouble with that. It was pure fighting and that actually took too much strength. We won it over with fighting football", Lawyer concluded.

In the first half, Feyenoord got away well after a foul by Leroy Fer on Sander van de Streek.

The midfielder of the Rotterdammers only got yellow for his tackle from behind, where red would have been more appropriate.

"I didn't squeeze it," said Lawyer.

"Van de Streek got up quickly again and then someone said that he better stay down. Of course you never know at the VAR, but luckily there was no red card."

See also: Feyenoord takes European ticket and gives emotional Lawyer a nice goodbye