Pape Diouf, the former chairman of Olympique Marseille, died on Tuesday at the age of 68. The Senegalese had recently been infected with the coronavirus and has since been hospitalized in his native country.
"It is with great sadness that we have noted the death of Pape. He will always live on in our hearts as one of the greatest craftsmen in the history of the club," Olympique Marseille wrote on Twitter on Tuesday evening.
Diouf was appointed chairman by the French club in 2005 and held that role until the summer of 2009. Before joining Marseille as a director, Diouf worked as a sports journalist.
In addition, he was active as an agent for a while. For example, the Senegalese had Basile Boli, Samir Nasri and Didier Drogba under his wing.
"The life of Pape Diouf was always dominated by football," writes the French competition organizer LFP. "He will be remembered as a charismatic and passionate driver. At this hugely sad moment, we are conveying our condolences to his family and loved ones."
Follow the latest developments around the virus in the sports world in our live blog .
L'Olympique de Marseille a appris avec beaucoup de tristesse le décès de Pape Diouf.Pape restera à jamais dans le cœur des Marseillais comme l'un des grands artisans de l'histoire du club.Toutes nos condoléances à sa famille et ses proches. 🖤Avatar
The coronavirus in short
- The coronavirus mainly spreads from person to person via sneezing and cough drops. The chance of becoming infected through surfaces such as door handles is small. This chance decreases if you wash your hands often.
- You can considerably reduce the chance of spreading by keeping at least 1.5 meters away from others.
- An infected person infects two to three others on average. Precautions are necessary to contain this.
- The vast majority of patients have mild (flu-like) complaints.
- Almost all deaths involve the elderly or other vulnerable persons, such as heart, lung or diabetes patients. If everyone complies with the measures, this reduces their risks.
- Read here what precautions you should take.