French sports minister Roxana Maracineanu does not rule out that the Tour de France will be held 'behind closed doors' next summer. It is one of the scenarios currently being studied.
The Tour de France is very doubtful due to the outbreak of the corona virus, which has also hit hard in France. La Grande Boucle is scheduled for June 27 through July 19.
Organizer ASO is in discussion with the French government to see what the possibilities are. "All scenarios are being studied," Maracineanu told broadcaster France Bleu . "It is too early to say which way it is going."
According to the former swimmer, the possibility of finishing the round without an audience is also being considered. Normally, a total of ten to twelve million people stand by the side of the road every year to encourage the riders.
"The economic model of the Tour de France is not based on ticket sales, but on TV rights and other media broadcasts. During this period, everyone understands the advantage of staying at home and following the course through TV, rather than from the side of the road. That is not such a heavy punishment. "
In France, a lockdown is in effect until at least the end of the month. People are only allowed to take to the streets with special documents; otherwise they risk a fine.
Follow the latest developments around the virus in the sports world in our live blog .
The coronavirus in short
- The coronavirus mainly spreads from person to person via sneezing and cough drops. The chance of becoming infected through surfaces such as door handles is small. This chance decreases if you wash your hands often.
- You can considerably reduce the chance of spreading by keeping at least 1.5 meters away from others.
- An infected person infects two to three others on average. Precautions are necessary to contain this.
- The vast majority of patients have mild (flu-like) complaints.
- Almost all deaths involve the elderly or other vulnerable persons, such as heart, lung or diabetes patients. If everyone complies with the measures, this reduces their risks.
- Read here what precautions you should take.