Kiki Bertens will rise on Monday from eighth to sixth place in the new world ranking. De Wateringse benefits from poor results Tuesday by its competitors.
Bertens will pass the Swiss number four Belinda Bencic and the Ukrainian number six Elina Svitolina. Both were immediately eliminated at the Dubai WTA tournament.
Bencic lost in three sets to the Russian Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (6-1, 1-6 and 1-6) and Svitolina fell in two sets against the American Jennifer Brady (2-6 and 1-6).
Last year Bencic won the title in Dubai and Svitolina reached the semi-finals, but due to the fast exit this year they will drop to ninth and seventh place in the world ranking.
Bertens opted out of Dubai
Bertens would also take action in Dubai, but she canceled on Sunday because she wants to take a week off. She saw a duel with the returned Kim Clijsters.
The leader of Dutch tennis extended her title on Sunday at the WTA tournament in St. Petersburg, but that did not earn her any places in the world ranking.
Bertens, who has won ten WTA titles in singles for the time being, ranked fourth in May last year with her highest ranking in the world ranking so far.
Virtual WTA ranking
- 1. Ashleigh Barty 8367 points
- 2. Simona Halep 5607 points
- 3. Karolína Plísková 5155 points
- 4. Bianca Andreescu 4665 points
- 5. Sofia Kenin 4490 points
- 6. Kiki Bertens 4335 points
- 7. Elina Svitolina 4301 points
- 8. Serena Williams 3915 points
- 9. Belinda Bencic 3875 points
- 10. Naomi Osaka 3625 points