Max Verstappen recorded the second time on Friday in the second free practice session for the Singapore Grand Prix. Only Lewis Hamilton was faster than the Limburger.
At 1.38.957, Verstappen was more than a second faster than in the first training session, in which he led the times list. In the evening session (local time), Hamilton was 1.38.773 slightly faster than the Red Bull driver.
Apart from Verstappen, Sebastian Vettel was the only one who managed to stay away from Hamilton within a second. The German from Ferrari admitted eight tenths to the leader in the World Cup.
During the second training, the circumstances were probably comparable to the race on Sunday, which is held in artificial light. That is why the teams mainly focused on racing simulations.
Result second training GP Singapore
- 1. Hamilton (Mercedes) 1.38.773
- 2. Verstappen (Red Bull) 1.38,957
- 3. Vettel (Ferrari) 1.39.591
- 4. Bottas (Mercedes) 1.39.854
- 5. Albon (Red Bull) 1.39.943
- 6. Leclerc (Ferrari) 1.40.018
- 7. Sainz (McLaren) 1.40.145
- 8. Hülkenberg (Renault) 1.40.324
- 9. Norris (McLaren) 1,440,361
- 10. Gasly (Toro Rosso) 1.40.637
Albon shoots off the track and loses front wing
Verstappen's team-mate Alexander Albon shot straight into a corner early in the training, his front wing breaking off. Later the Thai returned to the track and he recorded the fifth lap time.
Sergio Pérez and Kevin Magnussen got on the road together. The Mexican pushed the Dane against the wall, but Haas' driver could continue the training. Pérez must report to the stewards for the incident.
Last year, Hamilton won the Grand Prix of Singapore. He left behind Verstappen and Vettel in the Asian metropolis.
GP Singapore start times
- Third training: Saturday noon
- Qualification: Saturday 3 p.m.
- Race: Sunday 2.10 pm
See also: Five questions about the Singapore GP: 'Here, Verstappen stands out above everyone'