- This win means a lot to me, especially after how this game developed. It got so hard, so tough, Nadal says.
The veteran Nadal grabbed the match early and won the first two sets. But then something happened to Medvedev, who fought home both sets three and four and thus managed to extend the match to a nail-beater five-footer.
- Frankly, it felt like I was going to lose (in the third set) and I thought about what I would say after the game, says Medvedev."Very nerves"
Instead of becoming a simple three-set victory for Nadal, it pulled out in time - in just under five hours, Nadal and Medvedev fought for each other in black. The final result is written 7–5, 6–3, 5–7, 4–6, 6–4.
- I fought for every ball and it went longer, but unfortunately it did not go all the way for me, says Medvedev.
- It was so much nerves after only almost having the game under control, says Nadal.
23-year-old Russian Medvedev, who played his first grand slam final, climbs after the US Open to number four in the world rankings.
- The way he managed to fight and how he changes the pace of the match is absolutely incredible. I am sure you will have more chances to win here, good luck, Nadal says about and to his opponent at the awards ceremony after the match.Unusual with five sets
Not since 2012, when Andy Murray defeated Novak Djokovic, has a US Open final needed five sets to be decided.
With the win, Nadal now has 19 grand slam titles and is just one win behind Roger Federer, Switzerland, who has the most singles titles of all on the men's side.
Nadal has won the US Open four times, besides this year also 2010, 2013 and 2017.