- This is tennis's biggest arena - on the whole planet. Point. That's how I see it and then it's a great honor for me and my opponent to get to play here in front of this crowd, Williams says after the game.
Williams played aggressively from the start and Svitolina was never really let into the match.
- I know how she can play, she's so good. I didn't want to get off to a slow start and then just keep up, Williams says about his game.Hundred first win
A hungry Williams even managed to take one of Svitolina's services on volley.
"But don't expect me to do it again," she says jokingly, continuing: I thought, "What am I doing here at the net, I have to get back to the baseline".
The victory is Williams' hundredth in the US Open and thus she tangles the record Chris Evert set in 1989. A victory in the final would also bring Williams to 24 singles titles in grand slam contexts, which so far only Margaret Court has succeeded.
- I don't think about them (the records) but come here and just do my best, says Williams.
- But to be in the same club as Chrissy, anyhow, is absolutely fantastic.19 year old to final
In the final, Williams meets 19-year-old Canadian Bianca Andreescu. Also the second semi-final, in which Andreescu beat Swiss Belinda Bencic, was decided in two sets, although slightly more even - 7–6, 7–5.
Not since 2009 has a player under the age of 20 reached this far in the tournament, then it was a 19-year-old Caroline Wozniacki - who Andreescu defeated in the third round this year - who reached the final.
- If someone had told me a year ago that I would be here today, I would have replied "you are crazy," says 15-ranked Andreescu.
And to meet Williams in the final she describes as a dream.
- It's totally unreal. It is a dream come true to play against Serena in a US Open final.
The women's US Open final begins at 10pm on Saturday.