After three rounds of play, Feyenoord is still waiting for the first victory of the season in the Eredivisie. The team of coach Jaap Stam did not go further than 1-1 against FC Utrecht on Sunday in their own Kuip.

Halfway through it was 0-1 for the visitors due to a goal by Issah Abass, after which Ridgeciano equalized Haps in the second half. That was it in Rotterdam.

Two weeks ago, Feyenoord started the Eredivisie season at home with a disappointing 2-2 draw against fellow Sparta, and last week it was 1-1 visiting SC Heerenveen.

The meeting with FC Utrecht was the prelude to Stam's team with Hapoel Beer Sheva on Thursday in the Europa League play-offs. The return is a week later.

The FC Utrecht of coach John van den Brom, which was already eliminated at the European level, is without defeat after three Eredivisie matches. They started with victories at ADO Den Haag (2-4) and PEC Zwolle (3-1).

Lightning-fast Abass creates danger

Feyenoord had a hard time with FC Utrecht on Sunday, although the team from Rotterdam had the first chance. Keeper Maerten Paes reacted nicely to a directional shot by Steven Berghuis.

Not much later it was on the other side. The blazing-fast Abass, who was a scourge for the Feyenoord defense, benefited from a foul pass by Sam Larsson and completed a solo cool.

In the hunt for the equalizer, Luciano Narsingh, Eric Botteghin and Berghuis, among others, created danger on behalf of Feyenoord, which had to stay alert in the back. For example, Utrecht captain Willem Janssen and Abass were close to 0-2.

Defender Ié makes his debut as a substitute

With Leroy Fer and the brand new acquisition Edgar Miguel Ié as substitutes, Feyenoord put the pressure on after the break and that soon had success. Left Back Haps decided to take a shot from a distance and found the left intersection.

The goal led to a Rotterdam rush and Berghuis and Luis Sinisterra had the 2-1 on the shoe, but both Feyenoorders couldn't finish. The same was true for Haps, whose shot lacked strength this time.

FC Utrecht barely came out, although the team of Van den Brom picked up again at the start of the final phase and suddenly it was almost 1-2. However, Feyenoord goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer was attentive with a bet by Simon Gustafson.

Encouraged by the crowd, struggled Feyenoord tried in the absolute final phase, but Stam saw his team create little.