Handball World Cup: Germany starts with victory against Iceland in the main round
Iceland was considered a compulsory task, Germany has solved it sovereign - before the difficult main round duels against Croatia and Spain, the DHB selection continues to have good chances to the World Cup semifinals.
Germany's handball players continue to win: In the first game of the main round sat the DHB selection 24:19 (14:10) against Iceland and thus has further good chances to reach the semi-finals. Thus, the German team is at 5: 1 points and is in the Group I of the main round leaders, France follows the same point, but with the worse goal difference.
Best thrower in the German team was Steffen Fäth with six goals (eight throws), the 28-year-old made a strong play in the left back. At Iceland, Arnor struck Thor Gunnarsson (six goals).
For the German team, the home World Cup continues on Monday, then Croatia is waiting. On Wednesday there will be the final main round match against European champion Spain, who may have been eliminated by then (both games at 20.30, live ticker SPIEGEL ONLINE).
Against Iceland, the German handball players came in front of nearly 19,000 spectators in Cologne well into play and an early 5-2 lead. A one-sided game did not develop against the weakest of the three German opponents in the main round; And how well experienced the young Icelandic team around superstar Aron Pálmarsson from FC Barcelona, she proved with a 4-0 run between the eighth and 14th minute.
Offensive with strong casting rate
At the end of the first half Germany's defensive increased again with a strong Andreas Wolff (12 saves), and the offensive was particularly accurate that evening (14 goals in 19 throws in the first half). The reward was a clear break (14:10).
After the break, Uwe Gensheimer and his teammates could not quite keep the impressive casting rate, but in the end it was still at 69 percent. Also the nominated Kai Häfner scored a goal. The lead on Iceland became bigger and bigger, also because Iceland's top player Pálmarsson had to leave the field early.
In the early evening game defending champions France had won 33:30 (17:15) against European champions Spain and temporarily overtook the championship lead. Croatia (4: 0 points) will start in the main round on Sunday, then Brazil waits. The first two teams of the group of six reach the semi-finals, which will be held this Friday in Hamburg. Here you will find the game plan.
Main round, Group I
1st Germany, 3 games, 5: 1 points, goals: +18
2nd France, 3 games, 5: 1 points, goals: +5
3. Croatia, 2 games, 4: 0 points, goals: +8
4th Spain, 3 games, 2: 4 points, goals: 0
5. Brazil, 2 games, 0: 4 points, goals: -15
6. Iceland, 3 games, 0: 6 points, goals: -16
- Handball World Cup 2019 live: Germany starts against Iceland in the second round 8 months
- Handball World Cup: Iceland is Germany's first opponent in the main round 8 months
- Handball World Cup: Germany clearly win against Serbia 8 months
- Handball World Cup: Spain solves main round ticket 8 months
- Handball World Cup: Germany win against Iceland 8 months
- Handball World Cup: Germany after victory against Croatia prematurely in the semifinals 8 months
- Handball World Cup 2019: Germany defeats Croatia 8 months
- Handball World Cup: To smooch 8 months